Routers help info needed

liddlelur 11:34 09 Dec 06

Hi there!
I've been looking for a way to move my computer from the lounge to the bedroom to give me a bit more space. I have Blueyonder Broadband internet set up in the lounge via a wired box on the wall which is connected to my computer but want to use some kind of adapter preferably wireless to allow me to do this. Is a router the way to go? I'm a bit confused at all the blurb, I'm not looking to network two computers but just to be able to use my current internet connection in another room. Also can my partner use this wireless connection with his laptop? It's internet ready but he's not got an IP

terryf 11:54 09 Dec 06

You need a wireless router to do the things you want

FreeCell 13:57 11 Dec 06

I've not used one but there is an alternative to wireless, especially if you only have one PC to link via ethernet (not usb) and/or you are worried about network security.

click here

Bazz669 23:38 16 Dec 06

Basically mate if you got a longer lead that would do the trick as well and much simpler. But depending on how far you want to move it, if this is feasible.
I too have blueyonder broadband and i have 2 pcs connected wirelessly to my router. If you are never going to plug another pc into your broadband connection the a router is a bit of a waste of money in my opinion.
They are however, very easy to set up and basically, plug it in and away you go, much different than adsl which uses the phone line.
Hope this helps

terryf 01:34 17 Dec 06

Does your partner want to be able to use the laptop anywhere or are they prepared to plug a cable into the laptop whenever they want to use the internet? if cable is acceptable I would suggest that a wired router could be the way to go. You would be always on through the router and your partner could just plug a cable between the laptop and the router. You will find that the router does not mind another computer being plugged into it live however if you want the freedom to use the laptop anywhere you are going to need a wireless router with a wireless card in your pc and a wireless card in the laptop if it is not already fitted with one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…