Routers With Firewalls

Migwell 12:44 29 Dec 06

I have A linksys WAG54GS router I think this has a built in firewall, if it has do I need a software firewall on each computer that I have? Or is the Microsoft one enough and should it be switched on or not?
Migwell

Totally-braindead 12:47 29 Dec 06

I don't have a hardware firewall but it is my understanding that they can coexist with a software firewall with no problems. I would suggest if you have no problems running both you leave them as they are.
The Windows firewall is rather poor better of with one of the free firewalls, Zone Alarm as an example.

howard64 12:48 29 Dec 06

I have a netgear wireless router with 2 types of built in firewall [very technical] I have zone alarm running on each pc connected.

Technotiger 12:49 29 Dec 06

Hi, as Totally-braindead has said - the built-in firewall will run happily with any other firewall. Better safe than sorry! I have router with built-in firewall and also run Kerio firewall.

Migwell 19:06 29 Dec 06

Thanks, just down loaded Kerio, but it did not like Windows XP Pro and when booting up it caused windows to close down for safety the blue screen said.

woodchip 19:15 29 Dec 06

I have a 3Com with Firewall And do not use one on any of three computers 98se XP Desktop XP Laptop. But a Software Firewall can stop outgoing things as Trojans and phone home programs

Technotiger 19:54 29 Dec 06

Hmmm, sorry about that - I have the paid-for version of Kerio, because I liked the free version which I had used for some time, with XP Home. Never have any problems with it.

Migwell 15:21 01 Jan 07

Will Give Kerio another try, it might just be the way it installed.
Thanks
Migwell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…