Routers and firewalls

Daz35 17:30 19 Apr 04

Just a quickie....
If I am using a wireless-G broadband router with firewall enabled on it,do I still need separate firewalls for my desktop and laptop?
I already have Norton on my desktop and Zone alarm on wireless laptop but am not sure whether I need this 'double' protection.
Cheers

georgemac 18:03 19 Apr 04

I'm no expert but I would think not.

We will be gettin BB late JUly, and I ma going to set up a wireless network, with hardware firewall but am alos going to leave the software firewall running on both machines - I can't see that this would do any harm at all.

LeadingMNMs 18:16 19 Apr 04

In terms of incoming data a firewall probably isn't needed on each system and the routers firewall should be adequate. However software firewalls also provide Program Controls which only allow programs that you wish to access the network. The choice is entirely yours but I've certainly found that I end up with programs that should not have access trying to gain a connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…