Routers being switched off at mains

jg1990 17:28 22 Jan 05

I've only ever switched my router off using the power button on the back. As the router is in a fairly awkward position I was wondering if it would do any damage to turn it off at the mains instead of using the built in power switch?

Thanks, James

Jeffers22 17:29 22 Jan 05

Cannot see how it would harm it at all. I do not have a power switch on mine, if I need to reset it I just pull the power lead. Not done any harm so far.

Chezdez 17:31 22 Jan 05

why do you need to switch it off anyway? it's like they use a great deal of electric. i never turn mine off

as for switching off at the wall, i wouldn't imagine it doing any harm

john-232317 17:46 22 Jan 05

The only time mine gets switched off is when the Electrickery goes off, quite regular in Spain
;-))

Jeffers22 17:51 22 Jan 05

Two prime reasons for turning it off:

1. It cannot get hacked if it's off. And routers can be hacked, even if it is extremely unlikely

2. You do your bit towards energy conservation and the reduction in global warming. Tiny effect I know, but it all adds up. Also reduces leccy bill (again by a tiny amount, but again, it all adds up)

LastChip 18:00 22 Jan 05

You can turn it off with no ill effects.

Further to Jeffers22's comments, it also releases bandwidth for others to use, when you don't need it. After all, it's no use complaining about charges if you have it switched on 24/7 and then your ISP raises it's tariff to covers its increased costs! It's one thing for a commercial operation to have it switched on H24, but generally quite unnecessary for private users.

jg1990 18:50 22 Jan 05

It looks like now I won't have to put my back out everytime I want to switch it off!

Many Thanks, James

Magik ®© 19:03 22 Jan 05

mine has been left on since the day it was plugged in......about a year.....

georgemac 19:27 22 Jan 05

I switch mine off at the mains every night - well almost - I switch it off at the belkin surge protector.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…