Routers and asdl modems

tiggy 00:17 27 Feb 03

Having looked through the mag and read the advice i decided to get a four port router and an usb modem so my two daughters could use the broad band.
Having received the two items, the documentation in the router show a direct conection between modem and the pc, but my modem is usb not wan/lan as the router is. so how the blazes does it work then??????

jimv7 08:59 27 Feb 03

You need to get a combined adsl/router for this to work.

I have just done this with an eTEC adsl/router, set-up was simple and easy.

Both computers connect to the ports of the router, the usb cable supplied, connects to the computer which is connected to the b/b line, this allows the router to be configured via usb.

DieSse 09:40 27 Feb 03

The short answer is that you have got the wrong combination of bits.

If you have an ADSL router, then you don't need the modem at all - you need a LAN card inside each system - which the router connects to - and then the router connects directly to the ADSL line.

mike 15:27 29 Sep 04

I have both a router and a modem the instructions are to connect the router to the router I have tried to get them both to work but can only get the modem up and running the help centre checked out the router an dit is working.
I have XP sp2 and wanadoo ISP. any help will be much appreciated.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…