Routers - ADSL Different to Cable?

Blitzer 12:53 09 May 07

A friend recently bought a router but not being aware that he needed to get a cable router he bought a ADSL router by mistake. This is something I pointed to him once he told me he'd finally got round to getting a router, but when he went on to ask why he needed a cable router I could nopt honestly answer because as he pointed out it appears to have the correct connections. I guess I should point out that he is definately on a cable service and the cable modem is a separate item and provided by Virgin (was originally NTL).

Anyway, to get to the point - what is the difference between a ADSL and cable router and why should it be necessary if the router is just a router and not a combined router/modem?

Thanks in advance. :)

Danoh 15:06 09 May 07

MoDem = Modulator - Demodulator. Required to extract the data signal from the modulating signal which is the carrier signal.
Cable carrier signals are different to ADSL phoneline carrier signals so different MoDem circuitry is required.

A cable router has no MoDem circuitry and so depends on the external NTL cable MoDem to do that job.
ADSL routers are routers combined with ADSL MoDem circuitry. However I'm not aware of any which offers the facility to switch off its integrated MoDem and simply allows a "bridge" to the NTL cable MoDem instead.

setecio 15:07 09 May 07

There is no difference if it just a router. But the difference that you are talking about is where the adsl routers combines an adsl modem with a router in 1 box, whereas a cable modem does not have the adsl modem bit. You can link together a 'cable' router and an ethernet adsl modem, however the all in one is prefered for adsl as it avoids potential setup problems.

EG the netgear dg834 adsl router has an rj11 port for the connection to the microfilter.

The Netgear RP614 cable router has an ethernet WAN port to connect it to the cable modem.

Blitzer 17:13 09 May 07

Thanks for the replies, I never determined from him whether it was a ADSL router/modem. Anyway I said he should return it and get a router for cable use anyway. I guess it must have had some kinda of circuitricery hence the ADSL wording on the box. ;-)

Thanks again.

Abra {tag28} 02:00 10 May 07

It is just a different type of signal, with different rules for decoding. It's that simple.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos