Routers

loopyloo 18:07 12 Jul 09

I need to replace my router. I have at present I have a Linksys WRT54GS. When I purchased this model three years ago I did try various models but could not get any connection except for the Linksys. I was told it's to do with the house I live in it's very old and has thick walls. Don't know if this was true. Now I need to buy another and wonder if I have to just take pot luck in the model or have they changed in the 3 years. Any recommendations.

crosstrainer 18:17 12 Jul 09

In your own home. most routers will acquire a signal.. (I assume you are planning on buying another more up to date model?)

One Pc attached to the router, and one wireless (card installed in the "Independent" PC)

Some cheap options here (I would start with a new wireless card in the other)

click here-_-{cm_keyword}_Broad%7C-%7C100000000000000286769&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000286769-_-2976058014

Routers above..lots to go at and

Wireless cards:

click here

Brand and location are not definitive, but give you a choice r stating place. :))

rdh660 19:01 12 Jul 09

My laptop suddenly started connecting automatically to a local unsecured wirless network which shows up in the available wireless network area. I have since altered my settings to prevent the automatic connection not wanting to use anothers network nor put my own security at risk. The network in question would appear to be a private wireless network by it's ssid and I was able to log into it's router settings and could have made alterations should I have wished. The router cannot be too far away but the persons name shown in the SSID broadcast is not familiar to me. I am rather concerned that this person is obviously unaware that their network is vulnerable. Is it possible to somehow trace the owner through IP address or some other way so that I can inform them of their vulnerability and point out that they should maybe secure their wireless connection rather than have someone steal their bandwidth or even worse......or should I just keep out of it and leave things alone. If it was my network I would be grateful for the concern but we are all different. Any advice would be appreciated.

rdh660 19:02 12 Jul 09

Sorry meant to open a new subject.

Strawballs 21:09 12 Jul 09

I have the model before yours and if working ok why do you need a new one

loopyloo 21:38 12 Jul 09

My Virgin broadband has been increased to 10mb from 2mb. I was still only getting 2mb. Phoned Virgin and when we plugged the modem straight into the computer I got near 10mb but when it goes through the router it's only getting to 1mb. So this proves it's the router. Also I phoned Linksys to confirm this.

crosstrainer 17:21 13 Jul 09

You are unlikely to achieve 10mb via wireless, but you could maybe get 5. This would mean upgrading to a Draft N router and wireless card.

They must both support the new draft n standard...Virgin may supply the router for you if you fuss a bit:))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced