//some 3rd party need geo

routers

zebbydog 17:19 31 Dec 04

can anyone tell me a site where i can learn about routers to join 2 pc's on 1 line connection please.
i no nothing about them at all thank you

mrdsgs 17:27 31 Dec 04

try typing "broadband router" into google, por ev en just "adsl"

mrdsgs

mrdsgs 17:28 31 Dec 04

mytyping is awful, I meant or even just "adsl"

eljanno 17:29 31 Dec 04

click here

Have a look here I have found it helpful, but there are a vast amount of sites another is

click here

Have fun
Jan

AndySD 17:31 31 Dec 04

click here or
click here may help you work out what you need. You could also specify what you want to do here for help as well.

zebbydog 17:54 31 Dec 04

will look at the sites and get back to you

AragornUK 18:30 31 Dec 04

To be honest, depending on exactly what you want to do you don't need to know anything about them. One thing I have absolutely no knowledge at all of is Networking. Never needed it. Recently we ended up with 2 PCs for reasond that - honestly - would send you off to sleep. Thought "I know, I'll network them".

I'm on NTL Broadband. Bought a cable router & 2 cables. Plugged the 2 PCs in one side, the modem in the other, switched on and that was it. Just had to run the Network connection Wizard in XP to get them to 'see' esch other. The only reason for doing it through a router was so that I didn't have to have both PCs on to access the net.

BlueMeanie 20:41 31 Dec 04

I concur with AragornUK that with my NTL, bought a cheap Router from a computer fair (£25) plugged it in, and it ran straight away out of the box.

GRFT 07:57 01 Jan 05

The trouble with these links is one is overwhelmed with detail and don't know where to start. Like zebbydog I know nothing about the subject. What is a router? What is ASDL? All I want to do is make a wireless connection from my dialup modem to the phone socket, and get rid of that trailing wire I keep tripping over.
Many thanks.

LinuxPenguin 16:15 01 Jan 05

You dont need to know much as has been said.

Do you want wireless? then make sure you get a wireless router, and if youre getting a wireless youll want WEP encryption.

Whatever router you get look for it containing a "hardware firewall" and NAT (netwrok address translation). also make sure it is 802.11g

if you dont want wireless : click here £20, but if you want wireless, i can recommend this one : click here its only 29.99 too...

anyone get one quick, ebuyers having a january sale.

zebbydog 10:13 02 Jan 05

many thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…