routers

duck1 08:02 25 Jul 04

i have just purchased a d-link router di-704p,with a built in firewall do i still need to run my other third party firewall,also how can i tell if i am being attacked with the built in firewall on the router any links etc on this subject would be great for any body that could help!!

johnsims 08:09 25 Jul 04

A good software firewall will prevent or warn you of outgoing traffic as well as blocking incoming. The hardware firewall within the router will do a good job of hiding you so you will stop seeing messages that alert you to port scans etc from your software firewall. When I got broadband, I sat it behind a router with both NAT and Stateful Packet Inspection firewall. Shortly after, removed Zone Alarm Pro and have had no problems. But, note that I am unprotected in terms of outgoing stuff. I can live with that as I rely on a totally paranoid approach to incoming email to protect me from getting a virus or trojan on my PC.

johnsims 08:17 25 Jul 04

The netgear site click here has some good tutorial and info within the support section. Well worth a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009