Router/Modem Problem

wotan 15:31 27 Aug 05

Hi, back again with an inability to connect to Internet. I am running WinXP(Home) on both my desktop and my laptop. I have set up a wireless network using a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Firewall Router.I can connect to the Internet using a hard wired Sagem modem connected to my desktop with no problems. When I disconnect this and connect the 3Com router/modem I cannot get a connection. I have checked the phone connection, the ethernet cable to the desktop and the microfilter on the phone line and these are all working o.k. I get lights on showing the connections between computer and router are o.k. and phone link is o.k. However when I try to connect to the Internet I keep getting an error message telling me the system could not connect to the remote computer. I have spoken to my ISP helpdesk but they tell me if the Modem connects o.k. then there should be no reason at their end for the Router/modem not to connect. I am not certain I have configured the router correctly as there is a problem with the cd-rom provided, and I have had to do the configuration manually as the connection wizard will not run. Any and ALL advise gratefully accepted (except for suggestions on what to do with the router if it doesn't work).

wotan 14:43 28 Aug 05

Simple but blindingly obvious mistake on my part, not switching off the modem dial-up command.Everything is running now,but 3com need to make their installation instructions easier to access and less complex if they want people to use their products. 10/10 for the equipment, 3/10 for ease of installation and 1/10 for the user for being a plonker and not reading ALL the manual before trying to install it.Thanks to everyone for advice received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…