router working but cannot connect to internet

sugarbabe 11:20 01 Dec 06

i have installed many networks for people but am trying to install one and am stumped.

I have installed the router connected up to pc and phone line and have all the correct lights. can click on network connections and shows it as connected.

When i click on internet explorer or outlook express says has no internet connection. I have checked that tcp/ip are installed and set to automatically detect ip address. I ran ping 127. etc in command prompt and that was fine. Ticked box not to dial connection.

I have run network connection wizard although a few times it failed but is now set up.

I have also emptied temporary internet files etc.
Also turned off firewall and anti - virus.

I have obviously missed something, probably something simple and obvious but i am stumped. It is windows xp machine with service pack 2 installed.

mgmcc 12:10 01 Dec 06

Has the computer got its correct IP address from the router?

Pinging 127.0.0.1 is simply pinging itself, so that's not going to tell you very much other than that TCP/IP protocol is functioning. Can you ping the router's IP address and, if so, can you then ping an internet site such as 80.84.160.17 which is pcadvisor.co.uk

sugarbabe 12:35 01 Dec 06

Is the routers ip address on the set up page??

sugarbabe 12:38 01 Dec 06

If i can or can't ping the address what steps should i then take??

JJCUK 13:22 01 Dec 06

The pc needs to be on the same subnet as the router
usually something like 192.168.1.xx

log into the router set up using the routers IP and see if DHCP is setup as well

mgmcc 13:27 01 Dec 06

<<< Is the routers ip address on the set up page? >>>

The router's IP address should be in the manual. it is probably a 192.168.x.1 address, but the third "octet" of the address will vary depending on the make:

Netgear - 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Linksys - 192.168.1.1

Belkin - 192.168.2.1

If the computer is getting its IP address from the router, it will have an address in the same range. If the computer has a 169.254.x.x address, it has been unable to get its address from the router and Windows has defaulted to allocating an APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing) which won't let you get online.

sugarbabe 16:27 04 Dec 06

The router is a zoom x5 router am unsure of what IP address it uses.

As the network set - up wizard kept freezing when i was setting up could that be relevant and if so is there a way to solve this?????

mgmcc 21:12 04 Dec 06

According to the manual I found on Zoom's website, the "X5 Model 5554" has an IP address of 10.0.0.2 so try entering that in your web browser to see if it opens the configuration pages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…