router / wake in lan problem

aebdon 15:49 08 Oct 08

I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless cable router and my server is connected to it. When I either put the server into standby mode from my PC (via remote desktop) or it does it itself after 10 mins of inactivity, it comes back to life again. I have narrowed this down to the router, because if I connect the PC to the server directly (taking the router out of the network), the server goes into standby and stays that way. If I introduce the router back into the network it wakes the server up.

mgmcc 19:47 08 Oct 08

Go into the network adapter's Properties (in Device Manager), select the Power Management tab and untick the box "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

aebdon 12:58 09 Oct 08

I need to be able to wake the server up when I click on one of the shared drives I have mapped to it on the other PC's. I installed Wireshark earlier to capture the data the router is sending the server on it's own. However, I don't understand what the data means, as it's quoting source/destination ports, IP's, etc. Could I send you the data to see if it makes sense?

mgmcc 18:55 09 Oct 08

The data is unlikely to mean anything to me, but I'll take a look at it. You cannot email me at the moment because I am registered here with a "virgin.net" address and their mail system is playing silly beggars at the moment. :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…