Router Vrs USB Modem

Blubottle 10:30 26 Aug 09

The connect speed through my Router as shown on my desktop is 100 mbps when I substitute it for my USB modem it goes up to 200 mbps why is this.

Stuartli 11:04 26 Aug 09

A USB modem's BB connection panel will normally indicate the maximum speed of which your line is capable - it could be 3, 4, 5Mb or more depending on how far you are from the exchange.

My router's panel (Start>Settings>Network Connections>right click>Status, always indicates 100mbps); I'm on an Up to 8Mb connection).

ambra4 12:55 26 Aug 09

“The connect speed through my Router as shown on my desktop is 100 mbps when I substitute it for my USB modem it goes up to 200 mbps why is this”

Connection of a LAN card to a modem / router port will always show as 100Mbps which is the

connection speed of the lan card to the modem / router and not the broadband speed

Even if you have a (Gigabit) 10/100/1000Mbps LAN card in the computer the speed between the

Modrm / Router and the computer lan card will still show as 100Mbps.

The max Ethernet transfer speed on a broadband modem / router is10/100Mbps

Across a local network PC-to-PC if all the PC’s have a (Gigabit) 10/100/1000Mbps LAN cards

the transfer rate would show as 1000Mbps,

Have never connected a computer via the USB port on a broadband modem so unable to say

what the correct reading should be

woodchip 13:50 26 Aug 09

Its not what your Hardware says, it what it downloads at, check with both one after the other hear click here

woodchip 13:51 26 Aug 09

the router should be best

Stuartli 14:48 26 Aug 09

A router, particularly a wired model, should always beat a USB modem with regard to connection speed.

I have both (the USB modem is kept as a spare) and it's around one to one-and-a-half Mb down speed wise on my wired modem router.

Blubottle 15:59 26 Aug 09

My system is a dual boot using two Hdd's one o/s on each. my main (Xp) has the router and wifi setup, the second Hdd has win 2K, I have used the usb modem with this second HD to compare both internet performances, hence this original question. I have only ever used USB modems untill recently when I installed the router

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…