Router use with broadband USB modem

ADELLA30 19:38 11 Jan 04

Is USB modem compatible with standard router?
Setup: Two desktop computers and one laptop. OS on all machines Windows XP. Home networked using static IP. Modem ALCATEL Speed Touch USB using Tiscali 3xFaster package.
I wish to access internet via broadband from each computer using a hub/switch and router. As my modem is a USB device I am not sure if it is compatible with a standard type of router.
Advice would be appreciated, also any contacts which, with clear instructions, would help an 83yr old novice get things straight.

howard60 19:45 11 Jan 04

either the network connection goes to your main pc and that has a network card to connect to the hub/router/switch [very similar devices] and each other pc has a network card. Or the internet connection goes direct to the hub... and each pc then connects to the hub... you will need a network card in each pc or if you go the wireless route each pc has to have a wireless card in it. Hope this helps from a 61year old not quite novice.

ADELLA30 18:26 12 Jan 04

Thanks howard 60 will investigate. My ? was really concerned with use of router.

Forum Editor 18:35 12 Jan 04

that you've set up a wired Ethernet network, and that it currently runs on a hub?

An efficient way of working would be to buy a router with an ADSL modem built in, and connect that to the ADSL line. Then run all the computers off the router.

Enable Internet connection sharing in Windows XP, and off you go.

ADELLA30 14:40 31 Jan 04

Thanks for all replies, unfortunately I have been overtaken with ill health. Now recovered and the scene has changed - thoughtful son has presented me with an ADSL Ethernet Router PAE-CE81/84. Using Quick Setup Guide (Setup Router Automatically) all goes well until "close setup window" and wait 3 minutes. I cannot establish ADSL connection.
I am further confused by earlier setup instruction "confirm settings to your ISP" How is this carried out?
Again sorry for the late acknowledgement of responders messages

vinnyo123 17:33 31 Jan 04

modem first? then to router (how many ports on router 1 or 4) then switch(is it a dumb switch no IP needed) and PC are connected to switch.

is this the setup your using?

Don't forget when configuring router to hit apply.
Also if you have a router and external modem(seperate) your most likely gonna have to clone the MAC address of the router.

post back and tell use how its going?

ADELLA30 19:05 31 Jan 04

Thanks vinnyo 123.
The CE81/84 is a combined modem/router/switch and is automatically configured within the setup program. I suspect that I'm doing something in the setup which is not in accordance with the instructions (its my 83yrs which gets somewhat out of phase with my intentions!!) Will do it all over again
Again many thanks

vinnyo123 04:11 01 Feb 04

ok ,your probably gonna have to give your ISP the MAC address of your CE81/84 ,unless you can clone your main PC's MAC that you originaly gave them when you first signed up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…