Router technical problems

knobler 12:30 12 Sep 05

I've got a Belkin router which is working fine for my wireless connected laptop.

However, My main PC is connected via cable to a Lan socket on the router. Since saturday it's given up the ghost and won't connect to the internet. The lan socket flashes on & offbut not doesn't stay lit up all the time as it should do.

Bit of a long shot, but was wondering if anybody can give some advice. I think the cables okay!!

Knobler

johnnyrocker 12:54 12 Sep 05

have you tried a full power off and power up each component individually?

johnny.

knobler 13:38 12 Sep 05

Yep - been there, done that & got the T shirt as they say!!

De Marcus™ 13:48 12 Sep 05

There should be two lights on the lan card, one should stay solid to show power and the other flash to indicate network traffic, is this the case?

knobler 14:40 12 Sep 05

there's traffic on my laptop (2 flashing green lights on the card), but on the desktop theres just the connection on the router on 'Lan1' that is flashing very slowly - going from memory it's always on a steady amber light. Not sure what happens around the back of the pc - that's the twilight zone to me!

De Marcus™ 15:20 12 Sep 05

If you can go through the manual to see what colour or status the flashing light should be or is indicating. That should help pinpoint the problem.

knobler 22:20 12 Sep 05

I've just spoke to Belkin support and they are thinking that the system may be on it's way out!

They told me it may need repairing and to contact gateway - very difficult when they shutdown in the uk god knows how long ago!! - I need the operating disk also (ME) but it was all preloaded. I'm worried that my old faithfull may be giving up on me as the system keeps bringing up messages that the system is dangerously low on resoursces. Does this sound like the end of the road to anybody else?

woodchip 22:28 12 Sep 05

If it's a onboard Ethernet, Not much you can do about it but you could fit a PCI Ethernet card, click here

knobler 22:46 12 Sep 05

They think the whole computers going to the knackers yard though!?

woodchip 22:47 12 Sep 05

That's load of rubbish

Mikè 22:50 12 Sep 05

Or you could try a usb wireless setup and forget the hard-wired connection. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now