Router / Switch Solution?

i've no idea 03:47 19 Oct 08

Hi all.

If I can just explain my problem and what solution I intend to use can you please tell me if this is the best/right solution for the problem?

I currently have a wireless router connected into my broadband BT connection which is downstairs. My home office is on the first floor.

I have 5 computers that I wish to connect to the internet and to each other as a network.

Solution -

3 computers upstairs connected via switch upstairs physically cabled into single LAN port on the router via single LAN cable. This is the bit not sure about.
Media PC downstairs physically connected via LAN cable to LAN port on router.
Laptop wirelessly connected to Router.

Please note 2 of the pc's upstairs are Linux (Ubuntu - one server and one desktop).

Is this a valid configuration / solution?

Thanks.

ambra4 04:30 19 Oct 08

"Is this a valid configuration / solution?"

Yes you should have no problem

i've no idea 09:54 19 Oct 08

Thanks Ambra4.

No doubt I'll cock something up though lol.

I guess the question I should also have asked also is 'Is this the best solution'

ambra4 15:51 19 Oct 08

“Is this the best solution”

Yes; using a switch is the solution to installing multiply computers to a remote area via a

single ethernet cable, you can also connect a switch to each port on the router if you need to

access another remote area, plus you can also add a next switch to the same switch if you want to

increase the amount of computers in the same area but no ports available on the first switch

which will also allow access to the local network and internet access

A Max of 192 hard-wired users can be connected to a 4-router port using a 48-port switch

connected to each router port

Sample of a 48-port switch

click here

Plus a max of 56 wireless devices, computers, wireless printers, game console, printer servers,

wireless cameras, wireless Range Extender can also be connected to the wireless router at the

same time

Up to 256 computers can be connected using multiply 5, 8, 16, 24, 36, or 48-port switches on a

single broadband line router, (not that you will ever need that amount of users, more for a

company set up where there is a sudden need to increase the amount of users in a certain area)

Base on a normal 12Mb broadband service the access for all 256 users trying to access the Internet at the same time will be a slight delay for each user.

(Very unlikely that the entire 256 user will be accessing the Internet at the same time as some

would be on the local network working and others on the Internet not working)

The Starting IP Address on most router will be 192.168.1.2, but can't exceed 192.168.1.254.

Hope this information on the use of switches on a network clear up any miss giving that you

have you can also take a read at the site that I listed below

How LAN Switches Work

click here

click here

i've no idea 16:16 19 Oct 08

ambra4

You are a star!

Thanks very much for your help and the links you snet.

I'm learning as I go along :-)

Tech Guy 18:04 19 Oct 08

ambra4

Your suggestion of the above network is possible on paper but in the real world you would not use that topology, in the home and certainly not in a production network.

You are right in that you would use switches but a cheap router from BT would not cope with the traffic from all these sources.

A real world solution: a router from the Cisco 850 or 870 series. And instead of plugging the 4 switches into the router LAN ports you would connect them to a distribution switch then to the router. This would allow for a much faster network, as the distribution switch would handle all LAN traffic between switches and the router would just handle internet access.

I am not criticising, it is just someone may just install your network plan and be very disappointed with the results.

For the record I am a CCNA

ambra4 18:09 19 Oct 08

“I'm learning as I go along :-)”

We all learned as we go along there was no google search or Internet to helping in the old days

it was a try and error method, when I first started with the first pc IBM XT computer and

windows 3.1 and the days of dial up modems just to set up a network

I am still leaning after 30 years building, installing computers, and large networks worldwide

after each new OS is released plus train the local staff on how to maintaining the network system

At present I am in the Caribbean working with the local installer on the correct way to install a

550-user network in a 15-floor building using Fiber Optical Cable between floors and multiply

48-ports switches plus install a wireless system for 100 users for a worldwide company next

stops Miami to rewire a old building

Always glad to help

Enjoy

Don’t forget to Tick the box and click resolved

Tech Guy 18:33 19 Oct 08

I started the same way you did with a 486 SX 25, win 3.1 and no CD-ROM.

I currently work for Talktalk, as a network engineer, maintaining/upgrading their network.

I've never been part of the wiring side of networking, I come in after you guys leave to install the hardware.

Jealous of your work locations though ;)

Enjoy

ambra4 18:35 19 Oct 08

Tech Guy

We are not talking about a 550-users network hard wired and 100 wireless like what I am work

on at present but a home system no larger than about 12 – 24 users I agree that most large

network would be using a distribution switch with Cisco 850 or 870 series router most home user

could not afford the cost of a Cisco 850 or 870 series router just trying to make thing simple for

the person setting up a normal home network

No offence taken and it is not criticizing if you point out these little information

Tech Guy 18:53 19 Oct 08

12-24 users are fine on a cheap BT router.

You talked of plugging 4 x 48 port switches in to the BT router - which is NOT 12-24 users. You quoted 256 wired users and 56 wireless. Also the IP address scheme you quoted 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254, could not be used for 312 users.

setecio 21:48 19 Oct 08

Ignoring the 'on the job' training aspect, what were the study courses that you took on your career route, and what would be the equivalent ones today ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017