Router and Switch, IP Addresses

RISC OS user 12:21 01 Jan 14
Answered

I have an eight port switch and a four port router, I have connected them and they are working correctly. I will be adding another PC to my LAN shortly and have looked at the routers configuration and at the Interface section and can see the 4 ports listed as usual, etherport1 shows the device as my laptop which in away is correct except that port one is now connected to port one on the switch and port 2 on the switch is connected to the Laptop, port 3 is connected to a TP Link Powerline Adapter (which is not on at present). When I connect the new PC will I be able to configure its IP Address as I have for the other 4 devices which are connected. I have them all set as static not dynamic as I like to keep them all within my own parameters. I know that the switch does not have an IP address but would have thought it would show up on the Interface information in the router. Any information will be gratefully received.

Secret-Squirrel 13:33 01 Jan 14

"When I connect the new PC will I be able to configure its IP Address as I have for the other 4 devices which are connected"

Yes - I can't see any reason why it won't work.

"I know that the switch does not have an IP address but would have thought it would show up on the Interface information in the router."

I wouldn't expect the router to show the switch. If you want to view all the other connected devices then they should appear in the router's DHCP clients' list.

RISC OS user 16:38 01 Jan 14

Thanks for the info, will have another look at it when I get the new PC.

alanrwood 20:39 01 Jan 14

If you are using Win 7 you should see them all if you go to Network and Sharing Centre and click on "See Full Map" at top Right.

RISC OS user 21:35 01 Jan 14

I am using Windows 8.1 and have not been able to see what you describe! Using the Control Panel, or the Network Short cut does not give me what you say it should.

alanrwood 12:19 02 Jan 14
Answer

Maybe it is different in Win 8, I'm on Win 7 and have not gone to Win 8.

If you can have a look at running services and see if "Link-Layer Topology Discoverer" is listed and running. All machines need to be Win 7 to get this display although I do seem to remember a way of adding it for XP but can't be sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac