Router swap

Blubottle 14:39 PM 23 Oct 12
Answered

Hi I have been having internet disconnection problems with my Netgear DG 834G v4 router, I have a spare DG 834G V2 should I be able to just swap them over for test purposes without any re-installation tinkering regards

lotvic 14:51 PM 23 Oct 12
Answer

Yes if it was previously set up with your ISP and you were using it. Make a note of all the settings in your Netgear Homepage so you can compare them with your spare DG in case of problems with router to ISP

Blubottle 15:02 PM 23 Oct 12

thanks for that, the problem was that the internet light went red and net connection was lost after a couple of reboots still no joy, swapped over to spare which is a slightly different version (v2) although all lights lit up no connection either wireless and or ethernet after about 30 mins of tinkering I put the old one back and all ok. I think that maybe some over heating is taking place. I want to establish ISP fault or hardware, this problem happens intermittently and I have been blaming my ISP.

Batch 11:59 AM 24 Oct 12

Possibly a damaged cable from your telephone line box?

Forum Editor 12:23 PM 24 Oct 12

"....this problem happens intermittently and I have been blaming my ISP"

It might be worth asking your telephone line provider to run a line fault detection test, just to be sure. You should be able to do that on-line.

Ian in Northampton 18:44 PM 24 Oct 12

I suffered far too long with intermittent disconnects and loss of wi-fi. In the end, I got my ISP to send me another router. Problem fixed.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites