Router speed information required.

spuds 11:58 18 Jan 11

I trying to gain some information regarding router and router speeds, which I hope can be answered in an informative manner.

Most broadband speeds provided by ISP's seem to be in debate as to what is being offered and then eventually being provided with usually 'upto 10MB' as a selling factor, and also at the same time there is contention ratios problems being aired as one of the main factors for possible poor deliver and lower of services.

Now comes the question. What is the point or advantages of purchasing a router that states 28MB, 54MB or much higher like 125MB with perhaps all sorts of added facilities like 'G' 'N' 'Nimo' etc?.

bremner 12:36 18 Jan 11

N offers greater everyday usable speed (not the headline rate) and most importantly a greater range.

Also you quote MB (bytes) rates when it is actually Mb (bits) i.e. 8 times less,

bremner 12:38 18 Jan 11

Look at the table click here

961 13:17 18 Jan 11

In trying to sort out my own broadband connection problems it has become clear to me that latest developments in routers from G to N and so on all really relate to the wireless transmission part. The actual ADSL modem bit which connects to your ISP via the broadband connection seems much as ever it was

Suffering multiple disconnections (loss of sync) over a number of years, BT and my ISP have renewed bits of line and tweaked my connection resulting in an increase in speed from about 2000Kbps when ADSL Max (Up to 8Mbps) first arrived to 7000Kbps now. But the disconnections continued

I then started trawling the internet to learn why this might be happening and if you take time to read the sites listed below you may find, as I did, that much seems to depend on the make of modem chip within the router. Some get on much better than others with the hardware in the BT exchange. On top of that, as the software is updated, performance, like your investments, can go down as well as up!

I've eventually ended up with a Thomson TG585v7 router which has solved the disconnection problem and given me the fastest most stable connection. It is not the latest router, not even the latest version of the Thomson router and therefore the wireless transmission bit is by no means the fastest that is supposed to be around

But as an ADSL2 modem it does the business. You'll still have to cope with contention issues if you live in a busy exchange area

I can also thoroughly recommend the router stats software. It enables you to see, in real time, just exactly what is happening and why.

Let's know how you get on

click here

click here

click here

click here

bremner 13:28 18 Jan 11

To be clear -

The IEEE 802.11x set of protocols a,b,g & n relate only to wireless transmission and are nothing to do with modems.

john bunyan 14:03 18 Jan 11

As you only buy a router rarely, it seems to me worth spending a little extra for a bit of future proofing. On XP over a year ago I had quite a good Linksys Modem/ router, but it did drop out from time to time. I bought a Belkin N+ and it seems a lot better in several areas: eg if there is a power cut and the elecricity comes back on, it also comes on, unlike the Linksys. As I have a broadband phone attached via a black box to the router this alone is good. Secondly it hardly ever drops out. Thirdly the wireless signal is a lot better in my house that has thick walls. My "Up to 8Mbps" is now about 6.9, but this is the ISP and exchange improvement so far but as more exchanges go to true ADSL 2 such modem routers are a good investmant in my view.

spuds 14:16 18 Jan 11

Thanks for the responses, is very pleasing to hear what is being said, because its an whole new venture for me and possibly many others.

I will look at all the links a little bit later, because I have some very hungry animals to feed and bed down for the night :O(.

spuds 10:22 19 Jan 11

Had a look at the links, which in parts seemed a little bit to technical for an inquiring brain :O))

On the whole, could I say that a 54MB unit would just be 'just as capable' for a wired home set-up of three computers consisting of two desktops and one wireless laptop. Than say a 125MB unit doing the same job, in the same environment, excluding perhaps thick walls for wireless?.

961 11:02 19 Jan 11

Yes, you could say that regarding the wired bit for your purposes. The difference is in the wireless performance, speed and distance

That is not to say that there are not differences in performance between different makes both as regards modem stability and transmission quality and speed

spuds 11:08 20 Jan 11

I think that I now have the information that I was seeking. Gone a little further, by doing a couple of downloads in respect of router and server activities.

Thanks again everyone, will now tick as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…