router setup problem

pinfog1 00:45 16 Apr 05

I use plusnet as my ISP. I have a static ip address through a router modem which works fine hardwired through a network switch. I recently bought an MSI wireless broadband router to replace my network switch. To access the broadband router webpage dialogue I seem to have to change my IP properties on my pc to server assigned to access the MSI router at 192.168.1 254 but cannot access the 'net after going, very slowly, through the 5 step configuration of the MSI router. If you follow me, can you help please?

Forum Editor 08:25 16 Apr 05

If I understand you correctly you are using a wireless router to access the internet via a separate modem - is this the situation?

If it is, the chances are that both the modem and the router have a DCHP server running, and they are both trying to assign IP addresses. You can only have one DCHP server running on a network, and you'll need to disable one of them.

My apologies if I've misunderstood what you've written.

pinfog1 17:27 16 Apr 05

I have a static IP on my ISP supplied broadband modem and have always configured my other pc's with incremental ip addresses using the modem as the default gateway and the isp's dns settings.

The 'new' router (which incorporates 4 rj45 sockets & wifi, has a default ip address of 192.168.1.254 which I seem unable to access without deleting my pc's individual IP addresses.

There are 2 options on the original 1 port modem configuration re DHCP services & relays but attempting to add the ip address 192.168.1.254 comes up with a message 'invalid command'
looks like a saturday night of head-scratching and trying to understnad help files!

Rioja 20:59 16 Apr 05

have a look at my diagrams here:

click here

This should give you some pointers.

Regards, Rioja

pinfog1 23:08 16 Apr 05

thanks for your help. I think I'll work this out now. Like most things, it's easy when you know how.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…