Router security help needed urgently !!!

fastgirlracer 18:41 02 Mar 10

I have a Netgear Wireless G router running a laptop from the main p.c. I keep getting a warning notice that says something about "ip conflict" and someone told me that this is because there is no security on my router to stop everyone gaining access to my connection. How do I configure the security on the router to prevent this happening ??? Any advice welcome :o)

ame 20:30 02 Mar 10

You have to go into the router setup by typing 192.168.0.1 into the adress bar of your browser. The default username is admin and the default password is password, unless you have already changed them. (The password is sky if they are your ISP and they supplied the router.) Once in there, you can change the network name (SSID), hide it from being broadcast so people have to know it to log in first time, and apply a password of your own. You apply the settings, the router will save the changes and restart,and only you can now get in with your new password. You will have to View Available Networks on your laptop to connect first time.

ame 20:31 02 Mar 10

Best to make changes whilst connected to router by ethernet cable.

peter99co 22:26 02 Mar 10

If you can choose to set the WPA version. Choose a password you can remember though. Some number letter/combination about 10 digits long.

peter99co 22:31 02 Mar 10

You will need to enter this WEP or WPA code into your laptop when you first connect to your router via wireless.

The network name should enable you to find yours when you view available networks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…