router security

caspercooke 09:42 31 May 09

hi all

i have a netgear router and set the security to WEP, i now have changed this to WPA2-PSK so my iphone can work on the same router.

as im not that technically minded is there any difference between the security types i.e. easy to hack,viruses, bad download etc

cheers

mikef. 09:52 31 May 09

Simply put WEP was the first encryption program and now is rated better than nothing, but easy to crack, WPA is the mew encryption program and a lot harder to crack, so you are now more secure from hacking, no encryption program makes any difference to anything you download, it is only to stop people hacking into and using your network, you still need your anti virus and adware/malware programs, it is also advisable to have a software firewall even though your router will have a hardware firewall built in, some people may disagree with this last firewall comment though

caspercooke 10:06 31 May 09

thanks mikef

my mind is at ease now

cheers

HondaMan 12:25 31 May 09

No, I agree entirely. I have a Belkin router with WPA encryption and I use Windows own firewall. I see no real advantage in paying for one, when one is provided "free". I also use "adaware" and "spybot". I gave "Norton" its marching orders a couple of years back - too cumbersome, too expensive and far, far too intrusive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…