Router Recommendation

Philwane 14:19 23 Sep 04

I have two computers one running Win XP the other Running Win ME I would like to connect both computers to the Internet using a Router and set them up for sharing files and printers I know absolutly nothing about Routers

Do they have a firewall built in?

Can anyone suggest a good Router that is simple to set up and does not cost the earth

Jak_1 15:37 23 Sep 04

The router acts as a firewall as it takes the IP address instead of the PC. As a router has no drive it can not be affected by either hacker nor virus; anyone trying to hack would get no response as the router (being the IP addy holder) has no idear what to do with any malicious code or requests so it sends it to cyber trash. However it will not stop an infected web page from gaining access as you have requested the page one way or another, so keep your software firewall running on the pc and your antivirus up to date.

By having a router you are physically increasing your PC security but don't think of it as all you need.

Jak_1 15:59 23 Sep 04

The router acts as a firewall as it takes the IP address instead of the PC. As a router has no drive it can not be affected by either hacker nor virus; anyone trying to hack would get no response as the router (being the IP addy holder) has no idear what to do with any malicious code or requests so it sends it to cyber trash. However it will not stop an infected web page from gaining access as you have requested the page one way or another, so keep your software firewall running on the pc and your antivirus up to date.

By having a router you are physically increasing your PC security but don't think of it as all you need.

stylehurst 16:19 23 Sep 04

I use a USR8000 Broadband Router & have been extremely happy with it, It is extremely easy to set up & comes with a very good quickstart guide.
It has a built in printer port so you can convert one of your printers to a network printer if you so wish.
It is also capable of taking a dial up modem as a back up if you so wish but to use the dial up modem the router would need to be reconfigured.
When I purchased my router over a year ago it was under £50, probably cheaper still now.

stylehurst 16:20 23 Sep 04

I use a USR8000 Broadband Router & have been extremely happy with it, It is extremely easy to set up & comes with a very good quickstart guide.
It has a built in printer port so you can convert one of your printers to a network printer if you so wish.
It is also capable of taking a dial up modem as a back up if you so wish but to use the dial up modem the router would need to be reconfigured.
When I purchased my router over a year ago it was under £50, probably cheaper still now.

Jeffers22 16:30 23 Sep 04

My own preference is for netgear kit. Good instructions, very helpful web site, good telephone and email support, and the product works out of the box.

wallbash 16:37 23 Sep 04

Wired or wireless?

Philwane 17:43 23 Sep 04

Wired and I am on cable modem

Have been looking at this, Linksys BEF SR41 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router with 4port 10/100 Switch.

Ant thoughts on this router anybody using this?

Philwane 08:39 05 Oct 04

I bought the Linksys BEF SR41 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router £35.00 it's a little beauty I had it set up and running in less than half an hour.
Now I have Broadband on both my computers XP and ME and I have file and printer sharing between the two.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…