Router Question - ADSL 2+

Chris Webster 11:44 17 Dec 10

Hi,

I have recently 'regraded' my Orange Broadband package because they said I can now get up to 12Mb speeds in my area, I was previously on 8Mb.

They have sent me a new router to use if I want to, it's a Netgear N150 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router DGN 1000.

When I bought my new W7 laptop I also bought a Belkin N150 Enhanced Wireless Modem Router because my original Speedtouch ST330 USB modem for my XP laptop wasn't compatable with W7.

I use my W7 laptop with the ethernet cable and my XP laptop on wireless.

My questions are,

Do I have to use the new router Orange have sent me?

I have looked on my Belkin box at the specs and it says compatable with, ADSL, ADSL 2 and ADSL 2+.

I have done some speed tests at different times of the day (with the ethernet cable plugged in) on speedtest.net and my average download speed is 10.54Mbs so its seems that my speed is now faster than before.

On the side of the new Netgear Router box it says package contents ADSL2+ filters (there are 2 in the box).

I am still using my original Speedtouch ST330 USB modem filters from my 'XP days'

Would you recommend changing the filters to the ones supplied with the Netgear Router?

Sorry if this is a bit long winded.

Regards, Chris.

gengiscant 12:08 17 Dec 10

If you are happy with the way your setup is now then,by all means, do not use the router from Orange. I myself changed to Be broadband and the router or Be Box has not been out of the box.
As for the filters, I very much doubt if changing them will make any difference to your speeds. Try them and see.

Chris Webster 12:12 17 Dec 10

That's just it, I am happy with the set up I'm using at the moment.

I'll give the new filters a try and test speeds again.

Regards, Chris.

Chris Webster 19:20 17 Dec 10

You were right, no difference whatsoever.

So, a filter is a filter is a filter.

I'm sticking with my present set up, original filters and Belkin N150 router.

Regards, Chris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…