Router purchase - which one to go for?

CurlyWhirly 21:15 18 Mar 06

I have now decided to go ahead with the purchase of a router as I want to get maximum benefit of BT's Max DSL service when it is launched on 31st March.

I have just been on Live Help and AOL officially support these routers:

Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem Router

Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Modem Router

Netgear WG511 54Mbps Wireless PCMCIA Network Adapter

Netgear WG111 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Thomson SpeedTouch 510 4-Port ADSL Modem Router

Thomson SpeedTouch 576 Wireless ADSL Modem Router

Thomson SpeedTouch 580 Wireless ADSL Modem Router

Thomson SpeedTouch 110g 54Mbps Wireless PCMCIA Network Adapter

Thomson SpeedTouch 120g 54Mbps Wireless USB Network Adapter

Thomson SpeedTouch 121g 54Mbps Wireless USB Network Adapter

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with any of these routers as I need to know before commiting myself.
I don't need to use a wireless router as I have no need to set up a home network as I only have the one PC.

Thanks.

p.s. the reason why I want to upgrade to a router is that I have been told that you need to leave your router on continously for 10 days in order for the exchange software to sync at the correct speed with your PC therefore giving you the fastest possible speed.

If I use my current BT Voyager 100 modem, I will have to leave my PC on continously for 10 days solid which I have never done before!

VoG II 21:23 18 Mar 06

My PC stays on for months on end doing possibly useful stuff. Still if you really think that you need a router then I can recommend Belkin - 24/7 support.

I have a feeling of deja vu here.

CurlyWhirly 21:32 18 Mar 06

Thanks VoG™.

Yes I want to upgrade to a router as it is allegedly a more secure connection as most routers have a hardware firewall built in.

However the main reason why I want a router is that it can stay connected while I can still turn my PC off - at least I think that's how it works?

Also they don't use up any CPU resources which can only be a good thing.

VoG™, what do you mean by 'deja vu'?
Have you recently bought a new router then?

VoG II 21:37 18 Mar 06

Deja vu - click here

CurlyWhirly 21:39 18 Mar 06

Oh right! lol

ade.h 22:04 18 Mar 06

Whenever I browse that forum, I feel like the only veteran of these parts who isn't a member over there too! I think I should join.

ade.h 22:10 18 Mar 06

LOL!

I've just looked through the member list and noticed that you've entered your latitude/longitude as your location!

(Smart so-and-so) LOL.

CurlyWhirly - I quite like what I see of the 3Coms right now, though I'm very happy with my Belkin. The 834G seems reasonably alright.

At the end of the day, a big percentage of router problems turn out to be PIBCAKs or RTFMs. The remainder are either the Friday afternoon builds or dodgy firmware.

CurlyWhirly 22:19 18 Mar 06

Sorry I had no idea what PIBCAK or RTFM was until I googled - now I know lol

It seems that if I avoid a cheap modem then I should be okay then so I will tick.

Thanks.

CurlyWhirly 22:19 18 Mar 06

Sorry I had no idea what PIBCAK or RTFM was until I googled - now I know lol

It seems that if I avoid a cheap modem then I should be okay then so I will tick.

Thanks.

kjrider 23:03 18 Mar 06

Why do you need a router if you have only one PC?

ade.h 23:05 18 Mar 06

See the last paragraph of CurlyWhirly's post.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…