//some 3rd party need geo

Router problems

Emporio 00:18 15 Dec 05

I am a telewest broadband customer, I want to purchase a wireless router package, but am not sure whether to do for DSL/cable 802.11g router or the ADSL one. I have 2 laptops and would like to be online at the same time. Currently I have a Webstar cable modem from telewest, the modem is plugged using the USB and not the ethernet. Do I need to buy 2 PC cards if so which ones, i.e. does it have to be compatible to the router. I have Windows XP on both laptops. I have contacted currys and Argos and they claim they will not exchange or refund the router package if it is opened. Therefore I would like to purchase the router and the cards from a place that will exchange and will provide after sales support. Please, please help me.

mgmcc 08:39 15 Dec 05

<<< am not sure whether to do for DSL/cable 802.11g router or the ADSL one. >>>

With Telewest broadband, you DEFINITELY want the one described as "Cable/DSL".

Don't confuse the reference to DSL with a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" which is *not* suitable for Cable broadband - it is only for use with ADSL via the phone line.

<<< I have a Webstar cable modem from telewest, the modem is plugged using the USB and not the ethernet. Do I need to buy 2 PC cards if so which ones, i.e. does it have to be compatible to the router. >>>

When you get the router, you connect the router's WAN port (Wide Area Network port) to the ethernet port on the cable modem and connect one of the laptops by ethernet cable to one of the router's LAN ports. Once it is set up, and there is very little involved for cable broadband, you need to configure the "wireless" settings. Then you can connect wirelessly to the router and remove the PC to router cable.

If the laptops are not wirelessly enabled, and you want to connect both wirelessly (you can use "wired" connections), then you need Wireless Network Adapters. These can be either PCMCIA or USB 802.11g Wireless Network Adapters. However, if your USB ports are not USB 2.0, the better option would be PCMCIA, because the data transfer speed of USB 1.1 at 12Mbps would restrict the performance of a 54Mbps 802.11g WiFi adapter.

Any 802.11g adapter should be compatible with any 802.11g router, but it makes sense to buy all of the kit from the same manufacturer to minimise the risk of connection problems. I have Telewest and I'm actually using a Buffalo 54G router with Belkin wireless adapters, and it all works well.

<<< I have contacted currys and Argos >>>

The routers in the Argos catalogue are all for ADSL, so they are not suitable.

Emporio 21:46 15 Dec 05

I have taken your advice and have chosen the router and the 2 laptop cards. They are as follows BELKIN F5D7011UK HIGH-SPEED MODE WIRELESS G NOTEBOOK NETWORK CARD. The router is BELKIN F5D7231UK4 125MBPS HIGH-SPEED WIRELESS G CABLE/DSL ROUTER. They are from Pcworld and currys. Since I have 2 laptops I assume I will need to buy 2 of the above cards. Please advise whether I am about to purchase the right router and cards for my laptops and want to be able to roam wirelessly whilst subscribing to Telewest.

mgmcc 22:58 15 Dec 05

Yes, those will be fine and, if you do want both laptops to connect wirelessly at the same time, you will need 2 of the Wireless Network adapters.

Alternatively, if only one needs to connect at a time, the adapter can be swapped over. For file transfers between computers, one can be "wired" to the router while the second is "wireless".

Emporio 11:40 17 Dec 05

Hi being a telewest customer I went a bought 2 BELKIN F5D7011UK HIGH-SPEED MODE WIRELESS G NOTEBOOK NETWORK CARD and a router which is BELKIN F5D7231UK4 125MBPS HIGH-SPEED WIRELESS G CABLE/DSL ROUTER. Reason being is I wanted to roam wirelessly. The problem I currently have is the above router supplied included only one RJ45 ethernet cable and not 2. I have always connected the telewest Webstar modem using the USB port cable and its always worked thus there was no need to buy an ethernet cable. What I noticed this router requires using the ethernet port, thus when I tried to connect the router it wanted me to have 2 ethernet cables does it mean I have to now go and buy another ethernet cable in order to connect? And also will I have filter problems once I get connected if so do I need to purchase anything else if so please tell me the name and the brand, something suitable for Telewest customer whose using the DSL/Cable router. Also if I need anything else please advise as it will save me going back and forth to shops purchasing goods one at a time.

mgmcc 12:19 17 Dec 05

The router is supplied with only one ethernet cable which is used to connect it to the Cable Modem. It is assumed that you will provide your own cables to connect computers to the router.

However, what you can do is to connect the router to one of your laptops with the cable (leaving the modem not connected) and use this connection to set up the router. The "Internet" connection is very straightforward because it is a "direct" connection, there is really nothing to configure other than selecting this option.

You then need to configure your Wireless settings. Enter your own SSID (wireless network name) and set the Channel number to 11 (which is probably the default in any case). Until you have wireless connections working, leave encryption and MAC address filtering off.

Install one of the Wireless Network Adapters in the other laptop, run its software to scan for "Available Networks" and "connect" to the network with the SSID you entered in the router. If this has worked, you can disconnect the network cable from the first laptop, power off the router and make sure the Cable Modem is powered off. Leave the modem off for a couple of minutes - this is important so that it detects a different connection and allocate a new IP address when powered back on.

Connect the router to the modem with the ethernet cable, power on the Cable Modem and wait for it to boot fully and be online (four green lights). Then power on the router and wait for it to be fully booted and online (steady green WAN light if I remember correctly).

Now the laptop with the Wireless Adapter installed should have internet access from the router. The second Wireless Adapter can then be installed and connected in exactly the same way so that both are online.

...well that's the theory anyway ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…