Router position effected by other houshold gizmos?

kev-a 21:48 16 Aug 06

Hi'
My connection speed is up and down like a yo yo anything from 12mbps to my usual 54mbps, I have connected to the router via Ethernet cable and no difference, So i was wondering if one of the reasons could be where my router is sited ?
It sits within 18" of my TV, A Tannoy floor standing speaker and Cordless home phone.

I have only had my setup for 3 weeks now and upto last night there was no speed deveations, Could this be a cumlative effect of these devices so near?

I know it may take a while to settle back down if there has been a problem with BT Broadband so time will tell there.

Advise also as to whether it is better to leave my router switched on permanantly or off whenever my laptop is off..

ade.h 21:57 16 Aug 06

"....connected to the router via Ethernet cable and no difference..."

It's not down to anything that could affect the wireles signal, tin that case.

Ikelos 21:57 16 Aug 06

as for the last bit, mine has never been turned off, wireless router, that is, been on for about two years.

ade.h 22:02 16 Aug 06

You can turn it off if it gets excessively hot, which can impair function.

kev-a 22:17 16 Aug 06

Thanks people for the info.

Does a download speed of 2.8mbps and upload of 0.4mbps ring any alarm bells.
BT Broadband option 2 apparantly @ 8mbps??

Input Overload 22:19 16 Aug 06

I have found fitting the router upstairs gives better results esp in the house I live which has rather thick stone walls.

Stuartli 22:41 16 Aug 06

My ADSL router is situated between my 21in monitor and printer and is about three to four inches from the side of the monitor.

It used upright on a small stand, delivers the anticipated BB speeds and doesn't seem affected by being so close to the monitor. Like Ikelos's router it's never switched off, but doesn't get hot.

kev-a 20:41 17 Aug 06

Thankyou very much foe the advise people...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video