router to PC

kevma 20:19 01 Sep 09

Hi
I have a 8 yr old Packard bell PC ( I know time for a new one)I have been using a net gear wireless-G sub adapter to connect it to my router, the problem is the connection is not great so I thought I would connect via a Ethernet cable, only I don't have the right socket to connect it into the PC? This is staring because I can connect my laptop this way if I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

kevma

woodchip 20:33 01 Sep 09

If you have a good PCMCIA slot you can get a Ethernet Card to fit this click here But first you may be better trying this click here

kevma 21:12 01 Sep 09

Not sure, would this effectively give me a socket to connect the Ethernet cable into? if so good idea, but my PC is to old and does not have a acacia slot. But what it does have is a smaller socket at the back,looks similar do you think this mite somehow be a option?
Thanks
kevma

woodchip 21:17 01 Sep 09

Yes that is what its for, I think if you look you will find a wide PCMCIA slot with many pins deep down at the bottom. there may be a blanking plate over it if so press it and it should pop out

woodchip 21:19 01 Sep 09

the one at the back most likely is just a Dial-Up Modem Connection, Plug is different

100andthirty 21:19 01 Sep 09

is your Packard Bell a desktop? if so a PCI ethernet card is obtainable very cheaply - but you'd have to delve into the PC to fit it.

eg - one of these:

click here

kevma 21:32 01 Sep 09

No just had another look all over the PC but unable to find a slot, but at the bottom there is a smaller version of a Ethernet socket any ideas what it might be for? If I don't have a PCMCIA would it be possible to install one?

woodchip 21:37 01 Sep 09

Not if you do not have a socket at the back or in one of the edges. You can only use a USB dongle

chub_tor 21:37 01 Sep 09

The smaller one is for a phone line for a dial up modem. As 100and thirty says just add a PCI ethernet card. Simple to fit and XP will automatically recognise it and install the drivers.

kevma 21:38 01 Sep 09

where abouts would I fit a PCI Ethernet card,I will be starting a comptia A+ course soon so it would be a good practice.

chub_tor 21:39 01 Sep 09

click here fitting the card video

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…