router to PC

kevma 20:19 01 Sep 09

Hi
I have a 8 yr old Packard bell PC ( I know time for a new one)I have been using a net gear wireless-G sub adapter to connect it to my router, the problem is the connection is not great so I thought I would connect via a Ethernet cable, only I don't have the right socket to connect it into the PC? This is staring because I can connect my laptop this way if I want.

Any help would be appreciated.

kevma

woodchip 20:33 01 Sep 09

If you have a good PCMCIA slot you can get a Ethernet Card to fit this click here But first you may be better trying this click here

kevma 21:12 01 Sep 09

Not sure, would this effectively give me a socket to connect the Ethernet cable into? if so good idea, but my PC is to old and does not have a acacia slot. But what it does have is a smaller socket at the back,looks similar do you think this mite somehow be a option?
Thanks
kevma

woodchip 21:17 01 Sep 09

Yes that is what its for, I think if you look you will find a wide PCMCIA slot with many pins deep down at the bottom. there may be a blanking plate over it if so press it and it should pop out

woodchip 21:19 01 Sep 09

the one at the back most likely is just a Dial-Up Modem Connection, Plug is different

100andthirty 21:19 01 Sep 09

is your Packard Bell a desktop? if so a PCI ethernet card is obtainable very cheaply - but you'd have to delve into the PC to fit it.

eg - one of these:

click here

kevma 21:32 01 Sep 09

No just had another look all over the PC but unable to find a slot, but at the bottom there is a smaller version of a Ethernet socket any ideas what it might be for? If I don't have a PCMCIA would it be possible to install one?

woodchip 21:37 01 Sep 09

Not if you do not have a socket at the back or in one of the edges. You can only use a USB dongle

chub_tor 21:37 01 Sep 09

The smaller one is for a phone line for a dial up modem. As 100and thirty says just add a PCI ethernet card. Simple to fit and XP will automatically recognise it and install the drivers.

kevma 21:38 01 Sep 09

where abouts would I fit a PCI Ethernet card,I will be starting a comptia A+ course soon so it would be a good practice.

chub_tor 21:39 01 Sep 09

click here fitting the card video

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac