Router or wireless network Problem or ISP?

scp99 17:34 13 Jun 06

Hi ,

I have a small wireless network running a laptop and a PC, together with a wireless ADSL router modem.

Even doing the very basic tasks of internet browsing etc seems to be very slow - almost like dial up! very frustrating.

The router is a draytek 2600we, both computers are running on XP Pro.

Even with firewall settings off both in the router and on symantec software on the pc & laptop and windows own firewall the time taken for a page to load in IE seems really long. The ISP is eclipse, which generally has pretty good ratings.

The network has only WEP encryption. IP addresses are dynamically assigned.

Can anyone offer advice on what may be causing the internet browsing and the receipt of emails to be so slow.

any advice would be appreciated.

mgmcc 19:50 13 Jun 06

I would think the first 'test' to perform would be to connect one of the computers directly to the router by ethernet cable to see what sort of performance you get when "wireless" is taken out of the equation. This will show whether it is the wireless connections or something else causing the slow speed.

scp99 12:53 14 Jun 06

many thanks for your advice, it definitely helped. I did as you suggested and did not have the problem. I then added the firewall settings and the IE pages loaded as I would expect. It turned out to be a router setup problem (human error),and the way I had configured it to assigns IP address to the network that were conflicting with the TCPIP network settings within windows . I have now resolved the issue.

many thanks for your help.

It appeciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…