router/ modem cables

redrobin12 22:48 27 Mar 10

hi can some kind soul please tell what type of cables do i need to connect my dell latitude cpi series laptop to the modem.
these are some of the numbers i found on the bottom of laptop
vd2ct
service tag
526-776-77
dp/n 0006692d-12800-98v-1025
mod no'1ppl
ic class b ces-3 ref num 98081
i need the correct cables to fit my modem. i am on broadband internet adsl
and is there a way to connect it right. as i need to update windows.

northumbria61 23:04 27 Mar 10

At first I thought this was going to be an easy question. Most laptops have a very obvious phone socket, usually in the back.

Sometimes things aren't so obvious.

It appears that the Dell Latitude CPi does not have a built-in modem, and it's the modem that you need to connect to a phone line.

The Dell Support web site does a good job of providing information about their various computers. In this case, here are images of the front and back of the machine. And here are the specs on the machine.

In a case like this, you'll need to purchase either a PC Card modem (inserts into the PC Card slot in your laptop), or an external modem (which would connect via a cable to the serial connector in the back of your laptop.)

northumbria61 23:05 27 Mar 10
  northumbria61 23:21 27 Mar 10
  redrobin12 23:22 27 Mar 10

i have the modem .cause my desktop is connected to internet. and the dell laptop has a ethernet card in the slot .but no matter how many times ive tried to access the internet with the dell laptop nothing happens.what i would like to know is what cables do i need ?

retep888 10:22 28 Mar 10

<<i have the modem .cause my desktop is connected to internet>>
Do you mean it's just a USB modem or it's a modem/router,if it's the later and << the dell laptop has a ethernet card in the slot>> then all you need is a rj45 cable,click here.

If not you'll need to replace your USB modem to a modem/router click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 28 Mar 10

i am on broadband internet adsl
and is there a way to connect it right. as i need to update windows.

What sort of modem /router do you have?

redrobin12 13:06 28 Mar 10

hi thanks i have a d-link modem .for broadband adsl. i did;nt think it made any differance in what type of modem one has. so you think i need a netgear modem/router instead ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 28 Mar 10

I asked because some modems only connect by usb.

Modem model No.? is it a wireless modem ? if so a wireless card or dongle is the easiest way to go.

Your laptop does not appear to have a network port
click here

northumbria61 22:41 28 Mar 10

Fruit Bat - "Your laptop does not appear to have a network port" - from what I have seen and the pics I have sent redrobin 12 - it definitely doesn't have a Network Port - (there can't be many that don't) so it is going to have to be a wireless card or dongle - it is the only way to go.

robin_x 00:24 29 Mar 10

You want a Crossover RJ45 cable. Not a straight thru ordinary RJ45 cable because you are trying to setup a peer to peer (2 computer network)

Assuming your PCMCIA network card is working.

Run network setup wizard on the PC with the modem. Repeat with the netbook.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…