router issues

screaminglord 14:24 14 Jul 07

What I 'm trying to do is setup a wireless network as follows 1 router setup for printing the outher for internet access both work fine as seperate networks is it possible to merge them into one so i dont have to keep switching connections the 1 running the printer is a bthome hub the outher is a netgear running internet. op system is xp.

PalaeoBill 19:58 14 Jul 07

It should be a piece of cake. You want the bthome hub to act as an access point rather than a router.

On the bthome hub:
1. Reset it to factory defaults (so you don't have any previous settings to worry about).
2. Go into the configuration pages:
a) Switch off DHCP.
b) Assign it a different IP address to the one used by the netgear router (But use the same first three octets). So if your netgear address is 192.168.0.1 then make the bthome hub 192.168.0.2 or something similar.

On the netgear router (IMPORTANT):
Make sure whatever address you gave the bthome hub is not in the DHCP range of the netgear router.

Finally, connect the two routers with a normal straight wired RJ45 network cable. Connect normal network port to normal network port (the same port you would plug a PC into), don't use the WLAN port.

screaminglord 19:00 16 Jul 07

Is there another way of connecting them using wirless as I dont want a cable running the lenght of the house.

Thanks in for the prompt reply.

PalaeoBill 19:36 16 Jul 07

Ok, this may be possible.

You need to check the manuals of both routers to see if one or both of them supports 'wireless bridging', or let me know the model numbers and I will check.

screaminglord 11:26 23 Jul 07

Hi sorry its ben a while iv'e been away.

the routers I have are

BT HOME HUB 5172

Netgear super wireless adsl router DG834GT from Sky

Hope this is what you need to find the info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac