Router and Hub Problem

Gaz W 18:13 30 Jan 05

Hi,

Yesterday I was trying to convert a wireless network to a wired one, because the wireless was proving to be unreliable. Fortunately, the modem router wasn't wireless; it just had a wireless transmitter plugged in to send to the wireless network card upstairs.

I installed new network cards in the two PCs upstairs. The problem was, it was only possible to run one cable upstairs, and the ADSL modem router could not be moved upstairs because the phone point up there was on quite a long extension.

I decided to try and use an old 10Mbps hub I had lying around, so I had the hub plugged into the long cable from the router. The problem was, it didn't seem to make the connection. The lights came on (the hub) showing a connection from both PCs (in the same room), but not to the router downstairs (which also had one PC connected).

When I plugged the cable directly into one of the PCs, it was able to connect to the Internet through the router no problem, so at the moment only one of the two PCs can be connected to the net via the cable.

Can I connect the router using a hub/switch, and will I need crossover cable or straight through cable? If it's because I need crossover, I know where I've gone wrong!

Another idea I had was to create a bus network up there, or get an ethernet T-splitter, but I would need to be sure that would work with a router.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Gaz

Chezdez 18:19 30 Jan 05

quick way of telling which cable you need, look under the ports (on the hub and network card etc), if both ports (that need connecting together) have a cross or both have nothing underneath, then it's a crossover you need

if one port has a cross, and the other doesn't, it's a straight through

for you, between PC and hub you need a straight through cable

between switch and hub, you need a crossover

hope that helps

Gaz W 18:24 30 Jan 05

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I think the problem may be that I needed crossover for the hub... not sure what you mean about a cross under the ports though...???

Thanks,

Gaz

Chezdez 18:29 30 Jan 05

just look under the actuall port (where the cable goes in) on your network card nad hub (can't remember which has cross and which doesn't), you will see a little cross on it

for example, on the back of my switch/router/modem under the ports, they are each labelled 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x. can't see my network card but that will not have a cross on it, meaning a straight through cable is required

Gaz W 18:32 30 Jan 05

OK... I've just had a look on the hub and there's no cross... obviously it would use a straight cable for connecting to a PC network card. However, I wondered whether connecting a hub to a router/switch or switch to switch, etc, would require crossover, and it would maybe explain why the light wasn't coming on when I plugged it in.

Chezdez 19:02 30 Jan 05

ok here s alist of all conections

Straight through:

switch to router
switch to PC or server
hub to PC or server

crossover:

switch to switch
switch to hub
hub to hub
router to router
PC to PC
router to PC

as for the cross thing, heres a simpler way of putting it:

"you should use a straight through cable when only one port is designated with a cross"

from CISCO

Chezdez 19:07 30 Jan 05

ok, i;ll try that again

straight through:

switch to router

switch to PC or server

hub to PC or server

crossover:

switch to switch

switch to hub

hub to hub

router to router

PC to PC

router to PC

that should be clearer

Gaz W 19:25 30 Jan 05

Thanks very much for your help. That explains why I couldn't get it working! I'll make the cable into crossover and there should be no problem.

Thanks again,

Gaz

Chezdez 21:00 30 Jan 05

no probs mate, if anything, i should thank you, helping to get this stuff rammed into my brain!!!

so, thanks :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…