Router Firewall preventing file sharing???

tigernick 15:07 15 Nov 05

I have a home network consisting of one desktop PC connected to a wireless modem router, and another PC upstairs connected to the router wirelessly. Both PC's share my broadband connection fine.

The problem arises when I try to share files between the two computers. Both PC's have the same workgroup name and i've made the files I want to share available. I can access the shared files on the upstairs PC from the downstairs PC connected to the router via my network places.

When i try to do the oppsosite on the upstairs PC and access files on the downstairs PC I can only see the router in my network places. When i try to access the workgroup i get a message saying "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this network resource. Network path not found."

I have been successful in pinging both PC's and router from all angles, no problem there. I think the firewall on the router may be blocking the file sharing, but am not sure and would really appreciate any help!!!???

scotty 15:38 15 Nov 05

It is more likely that a software firewall on the computer is the cause. Try disabling any software firewalls (including XP's own).

One other thought, does either pc use XP Pro? I have read of this causing problems before and some settings need to be changed for sharing to work.

tigernick 17:31 15 Nov 05

Yeah the PC upstairs is XP pro and the PC downstairs is XP home. Il try disabling firewalls and see if that works tomorrow thanx!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…