Is router firewall always on?

tolly2 02:44 13 Jan 05

Now I have my network installed and running, I am wondering what security the router firewall provides.(Dlink DI524) Is it just a physical barrier or do I have to turn on somesort of setting to get it to work?

Also can someone explain WEP, SSID and the other strange titles, and do I need to set them up or not?

Thanks

Tolly

AndySD 04:00 13 Jan 05

The connection from the internet to your pc's will be reasonably protected by the firewall. Its the wireless connections you need to protect Try click here

Michendi 09:53 13 Jan 05

Router Firewalls in "home" products provide very basic functionality. Supplement this basic protection with a software Firewall (e.g. XPSP2, ZoneAlarm, Trend Micro IS12).

AndySD is correct. If you are going to go wireless then you must read up on the security issues that are inherent to wireless connectivity. As a general rule - if you can connect hardware using cable then do. Cable connections offer many advantages not the least of which are much greater data throughput and absolute security.

Your product will have come with an installation CD. On the CD you should find extensive Help Files which will provide answers to your questions re WEP, SSID etc....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…