Router Firewall

Declanworld 23:53 31 Jan 08

Is there any truth in the rumour that if you have a router between your modem and PC, then you don't need a software firewall such as Zonealarm etc?

My router's a Netgear WGR614v6. According to the Netgear site it has 'Double Firewall protection from external hackers attacks'. I'm more than a bit reluctant to knock my Sygate firewall off. All the software firewalls I've tried prompt for permission for programs trying to access The Net. I'm wondering how the router performs its function without the prompting.

User-312386 02:08 01 Feb 08

Most routers nowadays have firewalls

However, it does not hurt to have a software one as well

dms05 08:24 01 Feb 08

Router firewalls block incoming threats but not outgoing (ie if some malware is on your computer and is trying to send data outwards). So a decent software firewall is useful as they stop incoming and outgoing threats. If you aren't too worried then the router firewall and the simple XP firewall will do a decent job stopping incoming traffic. But look at ZoneAlarm and Comodo's Firewall (both free for home users) to add the extra protection for outgoing traffic.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:28 01 Feb 08

I use both the hardware firewall and the software firewall sygate to give me maximum protection.

I would not like to rely on just the routers firewall although alot of people do.

Declanworld 14:11 01 Feb 08

Thanks all for your advice. I'll be keeping Sygate then.

woodchip 15:43 01 Feb 08

I do not use a firewall, but a router only stops incoming things a software one works both ways. I leave it up to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…