Router for Fibre Optic Connection

Press Man 13:31 19 Oct 10

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of changing over to Fibre Broadband (FTTC) and to do so I have to change from my current ADSL+2 Modem/Router which is supporting an ethernet network of 3 pc's, to a "Cable Router" as stated by my ISP (ADSL24) :- "Your existing ADSL or ADSL2+ router will not work with Fibre Broadband due to the new technology, so you will require a standard (non-ADSL) router (also known to as a 'Cable router') which you can then plug the provided VDSL2 modem into and share the connection on your network."
Can anyone suggest/recommend a suitable router that will alow me to continue to use my "wired" network?

justme 19:41 19 Oct 10

As far as I am aware the only difference between a cable router and your ADSL router is the input/output to the telephone line (or new fibre broadband connection). You should still be able to plug your wired network into the back of the new router.

If I am wrong about this then someone will soon let us know.

Woolwell 19:58 19 Oct 10

You will need a new router see click here and as copied above. For Virgin cable they provide a modem and a cable router. In my case it is a D-Link DIR-615. There are other cable routers available that may be better than that one. Netgear and Belkin both have models.

woodchip 22:31 19 Oct 10

If you mean you use BT overhead Wire but connected to new Optic cable, you do not need to change anything. That's what BT are doing in my Town, I am on TalkTalk 8 Meg download but when the new cables are in and connected I should get the Free 20 Meg Update from TalkTalk. This using my old 3Com router

woodchip 22:33 19 Oct 10

Only time you need a Cable Modem box is if you get virgin TV and Phone by Cable as ADSL modem is not for this

Press Man 23:03 19 Oct 10

This is the "Fibre To The Cabinet" (FTTC) from the roadside cabinet it will remain as "copper wire". As you can see from my first post a new "cable/standard router will be required.

woodchip 23:39 19 Oct 10

Not if you are on a BT line

woodchip 23:41 19 Oct 10

All Overhead Phone lines, Use Bt line no matter what your ISP, or cable that they use, it all as to be compatible with your Equipment

Graham. 23:53 19 Oct 10

You are confused. FTTC means just that - your connection will be upgraded because the connection from the street cabinet (E-side) to the exchange will be changed to fibre. You don't need to do anything.

on this, which is understandable as BTs fibre lines have only recently been introduced.

I'm inclined to think that the OP is correct - a new cable router will be required. It looks to me that it will be exactly the same setup that Virgin Media / NTL / Telewest have used for many years now where you will be sent a cable modem which you will then plug into a cable router (or directly to the PC if wireless / sharing is not required).

Personally, I would be strongly considering this click here

Press Man 11:41 20 Oct 10

Hi Guys,

I did not expect so much discussion on this subject, but it is all good stuff and welcomed.
If you follow this link click here I think it explains the requirements. Getting back to my original post, I would still like to have views on which router to purchase to suit my needs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5