Router with dial up

ableddyn 20:56 20 Dec 04

I want to replace my modem lead with a wireless connection to my laptop. Can I use a BB router with the dail up modem?

Thanks.

Regards,

ableddyn

fitcher 21:31 20 Dec 04

yes .. dead easy .any with wireless and router combined ,,

fitcher 21:33 20 Dec 04

sorry ,,thought you were on broadband

cearve 21:38 20 Dec 04

I used a Netgear router with inbuilt modem, works great. You can get a version to use with an exising router, but for the small amount of difference in cost its best, easier and tidyer to get a combined unit.

cearve 21:41 20 Dec 04

Don't think you can use this type of router with a dial up connection though!

jollysailor 12:59 21 Dec 04

Thanks fitcher & cearve but I cannot get broadband. What kit do I need to allow me to use my laptop for wireless internet access with a dial-up connection? I assume this is possible!!

Thanks,

ableddyn

ableddyn 13:04 21 Dec 04

Whoops,
Sorry for the confusion. I signed in on my work PC. Jollysailor is me.

Jeffers22 13:21 21 Dec 04

You would need a dial up modem which outputs to ethernet WAN port on router and connect from there to the PC and laptop - also via ethernet. Not sure if dial up networking would be able to negotiate the router though. I think you need to take a look round the netgear click here belkin click here and linksys click here sites to see if they actually have such a product.

One way that would work, is to use internet connection sharing and stick a couple of USB wireless dongles in each of the PC and laptop. That would not be via a router though and the PC with the modem would need to be switched on to make the connection which could then be shared.

Jeffers22 13:23 21 Dec 04

replace "also by ethernet" on second line with "wirelessly"

mgmcc 13:28 21 Dec 04

The nearest I have come across to what you want is a Bluetooth V90 (V92?) dialup modem, which you could use in conjunction with your laptop and a Bluetooth adapter. PC World had Bluetooth modems.

The range would be much less than with 802.11b or 802.11g wireless devices, but these are essentially for Local Area Networks and I haven't heard of WiFi "dialup" modems (which doesn't mean they don't exist!).

TomJerry 13:40 21 Dec 04

BT On-Air Wireless Modem fax / modem £59.99 click here

this is possibly the only one you can find now. used to be many around, but all disappear since BB come into picture

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…