router compatible with ADSL modem

ollybolly 14:35 02 Mar 12

I'm near computer illiterate and don't know the difference between a router and a modem - if put it in language I understand, I'd say I don't know my a**se from my elbow.

My Windows XP computer just died and I've replaced it with Dell Windows 7 pc. Problem is, I can't connect to the internet. My ISP (Talk,Talk) says I need a router compatible with an ADSL modem. When I told them I already had a router that had never been used (Tiscali, later absorbed into Talk,Talk, had insisted I needed this some years ago when I had a similar problem; in fact I didn't, so I'm immediately mistrusting of Talk,Talk's technical advice), I asked if it would suffice.

Yes, the helpline person said, a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO router, model FSD9230-4, version 30001uk would do the job.

I couldn't find the software disk so rang Belkin for help. They told me my router was not ADSL compatible.

Using my partner's laptop, I have found a TP-link TPTD-W8951ND ADSL 2/2 modem at Argos for £30 ("Easy one-touch wireless security encryption with the Quick Security Setup button. ADSL 2/2+ Modem, Wireless N Access Point and 4-Port Router, in a single device."* Full spec below). Will this do the job? Routers seem to be quite expensive, so don't want to make mistake but don't want something so cheap it doesn't work well (have already forked out £450 for pc and probably need another £150 for Windows Office, not to mention a new printer! Wallet's feeling a bit sensitive.)

Urgently need to get connected so any advice will be gratefully received. If it's relevant, I use the internet a lot but don't play games online.

*Full spec

TP-Link TPTD-W8951ND 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router.

Easy one-touch wireless security encryption with the Quick Security Setup button. ADSL 2/2+ Modem, Wireless N Access Point and 4-Port Router, in a single device. Wireless N speed up to 150Mbps, great for online gaming, Internet call and video streaming. LAN Ports/PVCs bundle and QoS engine for pleasant triple-play (data, voice and video) experience. TD-W8951ND 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router is an All-in-One device, which is designed to provide end-users with a one-stop solution to acquiring and sharing high speed Internet access over a wired/wireless network. Wireless standards b/g/n. Compatible with Microsoft® Windows® 98SE, NT, 2000, XP, Vista™ or Windows 7, MAC® OS, NetWare®, UNIX® or Linux. 1 external antenna. 0 internal antenna. 4 10/100Mbps RJ45 Ports1 RJ11 Port. Transfer speed up to up to 150MbpsMbps. Suitable for online gaming, Internet calls and video streaming . Includes TD-W8951NDExternal SplitterRJ-11 Telephone CableRJ-45 Ethernet CableQuick Installation GuideResource CDPower Adapter. Weight 0.94kg. Size L26, W18, D7cm. Manufacturer's 3 year guarantee. EAN/MPN/UPC/ISBN: 6935364060411.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 02 Mar 12

1. how did you connect to the internet with your XP PC?

ollybolly 15:19 02 Mar 12

Fruit Bat - With a Thomson Speedtouch 330 modem. Does that make sense?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 02 Mar 12

OK the speed touch modem does like being used on windows 7 as the driver is a bit "iffy"

If all you want to do is connect to the internet then the TP-link TPTD-W8951ND ADSL 2/2 is ok however if you want to move files around a home network via wireless then better going for the N300model instead.

I'm assuming your partner is connecting in a different location?

ollybolly 16:26 02 Mar 12

Sorry for delay, Fruitbat, had to go out for ciggies. Thanks for response (I assume there's a missing 'not' in your first snetence.

Hadn't even occurred to me to move/share files with partner, who's downstairs. If the suggested router's ADSL-modem compatible, then that's what I think I'll go for. As I mentioned, my wallet's taken a bit of a hammering with more expected. Thank you so very much for your help and advice.

Batch 16:48 02 Mar 12

If your partner is downstairs, how are they connecting to the Internet?

Do they already have a broadband modem+router that you could piggy back on?

And do they have a separate telephone line (or cable service) that their broadband is provided on?

ollybolly 17:10 02 Mar 12

Sorry, Batch, just ordered router. Partner's on BT with separate line. Dont want to change email address so not really an option, but thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…