Router can't get a connection - USB modem is ok

chrismuir 10:56 07 May 06

Hi

Have a Netgear DG632 router. Am finding that at times the router drops out, and can't get a good signal. When this has happened I have dragged out and plugged in my old Speedtouch 330 USB modem and it gets a connection straight away.

It seems to be in the evenings that the problem occurs, which is probably when there is the most demand on the phone network. i am guessing that the signal is slightly too weak/poor quality for the router but the modem can cope.

Has anyone else seen similar, and is there anything I can change on the router so help?

Chris

palinka 20:01 07 May 06

can't offer a solution, but when i've had a connecting problem i find that switching the router off then on again will fix the problem. I use a BT voyager 2100.

ade.h 20:09 07 May 06

"....the router drops out" suggests that you are talking about the wireless link, but your comment about the phone activity suggests that it is actually your internet connection to which you refer.

Could you confirm which?

(This would have been better in Networking by the way).

chrismuir 18:52 10 May 06

I dont have a wireless link. What seems to happen is when the peak hours for phone/internet use are, the quality of the signal is sometimes not sufficient for the router. It tries, and frequently fails, to re-initialize. If i reconnect my old USB modem it is able to get a suitable signal.

I spoke to Wanadoo about this a while back. One solution mentioned was that I may need to go back to a 512K line - the BT system apparently says my line is marginal for 1Mb.

woodchip 18:55 10 May 06

Is the router configured for automatic Detection of Gateway? In the Settings Page and Ntworking in Control Panel

chrismuir 21:29 10 May 06

Yep - in internet options/connections it is checked to auto detect settings, is this what you mean?

Dipso 21:30 10 May 06

Can you find out your line stats from your routers interface? It sounds like an issue with the SNR - signal to noise ratio. Especially as you say it is worse in the evening.

I know how to get them with the Speedtouch click here you could see what that gives you too.

Do you connect via an extension or at the Master BT Socket?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…