Router Advice Please

Marsh Warden © ™ 14:02 27 May 06

My motherboard click here supports an Ethernet connection. I am currently on Tiscali 2mb unlimited, using a Sagem [email protected] 800 USB modem. I want to change to a router, but I am slightly bewildered by all the different options available.

Could someone point me towards a reasonably priced reliable router which is stable and reliable. I do not need wireless, although I have a Laptop and PDA with Wi-Fi, due to the large amount of configuration problems posted on this site.

Thanks in advance.

MW

ade.h 14:12 27 May 06

The "large amount of configuration problems" are not are far from solely the result of any weakness in wifi. Wifi has only a few minor caveats, such as positioning, and most of them are avoidable. So don't be put off.

You have not stated whether you intend to stream large files, but if you prefer Ethernet anyway, this will not matter. Therefore, you can safely ignore any form of boosted, Pre-n or MIMO proprietary system and stay with 802.11g (54Mbits per second) which often has the friendly name of 54g. My preference, in order, is the Belkin 7632 (set quite a few of these up, including my own), any 3Com or the Linksys WAG354G (not the GS, which is boosted to 125Mb). I like the price of the 3Coms in particular and they are well-made, with extensive config options (something which I value highly).

Hertz Van Rentyl 14:13 27 May 06

I have a BT Voyager 2100, just turned it on and set up was simplicity itself. I had it set up on my Desktop and recently bought a Sony VAIO so I could wander round the house. Just turned on the laptop and was connected instantly. I think latest model is 2110. With all the family at home we have 3 desktops and a laptop all connected wirelessly.

Marsh Warden © ™ 14:21 27 May 06

Thank you both for your recommendations and input. I will take a while to review your suggestions, which I think will be enough to get on with for now, so I will tick this as resolved.

I appreciate your help.

MW

Marsh Warden © ™ 14:47 27 May 06

Whilst researching your router I came across this info click here about a security firmware update. Don't know if you have it, but if not might be worth a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac