//some 3rd party need geo

Router Advice Needed

SafeHaven 01:05 22 Jan 03
  SafeHaven 01:05 22 Jan 03

Ok a friend of mine in the usa has networked her pc and Laptop.She is using a linskys 4 port dsl router, when she turns off the pc the laptop stays on line. What i want is the same thing so i can move my pc and connect the adsl usb modem to the router on my wifes pc, Then i dont have to put her pc on for me to acsees the net? Does all that make sense? Any help/adavice appriciated

jazzypop 01:22 22 Jan 03

The first problem will be to connect the modem to the router.

Your modem has a USB 'outlet', and your router will likely have an RJ45 'inlet' (for an Ethernet cable).

The simplest approach will be to find a USB to Ethernet adaptor, so that the two devices can be connected.

Once you have done that, you simply connect each PC to the router using Ethernet cables between the router and your PC's network card. Note that you will need to use 'straight-through' cables between the PC and the router - if you currently have two PCs connected to each other via Ethernet, that cable will be a 'crossover' cable, and will not work.

SafeHaven 01:29 22 Jan 03

Sorry i missed an important bit out (is nite time :) ) I need to move my pc downstairs so i will be looking at wireless networking, i guess that makes a differance? We do have a ethernet card in both pc's if that helps?

jazzypop 01:44 22 Jan 03

The principles are just the same.

Ditch the current network cards and ADSL modem.

Buy a wireless ADSL modem/router, and a wireless network card for each PC. Connect the phone cable to the wireless router. Setup each wireless network card to talk to the wireless router.

You will reduce problems by buying them all from the same manufacturer (e.g. Netgear, Linksys, Belkin).

SafeHaven 01:49 22 Jan 03

Thanx :)

ajm 02:48 22 Jan 03

I would recommed the Netgear Wireless ADSL/Modem Router DG824 or the Netgear DG814 and have a wirelss access point. then buy the appropriate wireless device (usb/pci/pcmcia) for the laptops/pc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…