Router advice.

merlinthedog 20:24 16 Apr 08

I am new to this and need some advice please. I have 2 computers 1 BT voyager 105 adsl modem and need advice on what wired router to buy and how to set it up. Thanks.

Strawballs 22:46 16 Apr 08

click here any one of these wireless ones will do as they have 4 wired ports and then if some time in the future you wish to go wireless then you can.

Just make sure that you switch off the wireless or set up the encryption.

Pineman100 16:41 20 Apr 08

As you're new to this, I'm just going to expand a bit on Strawballs' good advice (hope you don't mind, SB!)

If you run a combination wired and wireless router with its wireless function switched on, then you are at risk of other people with wireless-enabled computers being able to access your network. So, as you're going to use wired connections, the best plan is to go into the router's control panel and switch off its wireless function. The instructions should tell you how to do this.

If, at a later date, you decide to use the wireless function, be sure to set up encryption so that only your computer can communicate with your router. Again - look in the instuctions for details.

Strawballs 21:05 20 Apr 08

Not a problem I should have been more aware of which forum I was answering in and made my answer clearer

merlinthedog 13:18 21 Apr 08

Thanks for your good advice. I have purchased a Netgear DG834GT Wireless modem router. Think i'll have a go with wireless. But as my walls are 18 inches thick i might have to go down the wired route. Thanks again.

Strawballs 13:24 21 Apr 08

18inches thick where do you live Merlin's castle?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…