router adapter

drwho03 18:33 13 Jun 08

have just bought a router N1 my question is do i need an adapter for my laptop to get the best performance

chub_tor 19:25 13 Jun 08

Is your new router wireless? If not you will need a cable from your laptop to the router.

If your router is wireless then depending on the age of your laptop you may or may not need a USB adapter. Most modern laptops have wireless built in and will usually have a switch and a light so that you can switch the wireless on and off.

If you tell us the make and model of your new router and your laptop we can probably advise you better.

drwho03 19:41 13 Jun 08

i`m a bit confused about wireless enabled laptop, does it matter about the quality of the router ie wireless `g` or `n`, does the laptop need an adapter with router to get the distance, anyway my laptop is wireless and router is belkin n1 mimo

chub_tor 15:37 14 Jun 08

If your laptop is wireless as well as your router then you do not need a separate adapter. Your laptop will transmit and receive signals from the router while it is switched on. Wireless g and n are two standards of transmission with n being the latest and the fastest. Most laptops in current use are g.

chub_tor 16:14 14 Jun 08

Just looked again at the belkin n1 mimo. seems it comes in two flavours, one with a modem and one without. If you don't have the version with modem then you will not be able to connect to the internet, but as you are on line I assume that you have solved that problem. 802.11 n, which is the standard used by this router will work with your laptop but as I said earlier most laptops are 802.11g - you should check on your laptop specs to see if this applies to yours.

To get the maximum range and speed you could use an 802.11n adapter and Belkin does make one to complement the router click here. I have not tried using an external adapter on an already wireless configured laptop but I imagine that you would have to make sure the internal wireless is turned off and just plug the external adapter into any USB port. You might try asking this question in the Networking Forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…