router

Pau1JB 12:10 23 Jul 04

I have a netgear dg814 router, with two computers connected to it. It is used to share the internet and for the computers to comm between each other. But recently i have had the problem of it i leave the computer downloading, it just stops after an hour. Although the internet light on the router is on to say its connected to the internet. Its just the computer can connect to the router, it cant even open up its control panel at 192.168.0.1. the whole computer has to be restarted.

Any idea y this is happening.

Thanks

TomJerry 12:38 23 Jul 04

My experience:

When a router works for long time, especially for long time, its OS may crash (just like windows crash). At this point, your PC is unable to get a correct IP adress which should be allocated dynamically by router. The IP address of 192.168.0.1 is just default IP address of netwrok card.

Restart Router will normally solve the problem. Or switch off for a couple of minutes and restart again.

Ironman556 13:31 23 Jul 04

I've found that if the connection to the PC is interrupted by a firewall or unplugging a network cable I have to go to the Network Connections panel and repair it. Alternatively if a reboot of the router will solve it, but if you can't access it via it's IP you'll have to do it from the other PC or by pulling the plug.

Strangely I only get this problem with the cabled network, not with wireless.

Pau1JB 15:23 23 Jul 04

all what u mentioned worked.

Its just that it never did this before. I could set to download and leave the comp and router and they would go for ages. Know its 2 or 3 hours and then it dc its a pain.

Pau1JB 15:23 23 Jul 04

all what u mentioned worked.

Its just that it never did this before. I could set to download and leave the comp and router and they would go for ages. Know its 2 or 3 hours and then it dc its a pain.

Ironman556 15:59 23 Jul 04

Reading a review when I was looking for my router saying that the Netgears had occasional problems with crashing when transferring large amounts of data over a home/office network, and that it was expected to be addressed in a firmware upgrade. Wether it has or not I don't know, but it may be worth checking it out on the Netgar site if you want to transfer large files.

TomJerry 19:08 23 Jul 04

more hot, more possibility of crashing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…