Rollover problems

Eileanbeag 12:33 12 Oct 05

Please could someone with knowledge look at my website and see why my rollovers are not working as they should - many thanks - click here

Eileanbeag 15:50 12 Oct 05

Something odd - I uploaded the website to
click here
freespace and it works fine - can anyone help

Taran 17:09 12 Oct 05

It looks like your images are in the wrong location.

On the first site you linked to your images are, according to your code, in webroot/buttons/ (where webroot is your site root folder).

The button images are actually outside the buttons folder, floating around in the web root folder, so the code is referencing files that are not where the code says they are, hence web browser software cannot display the images for your rollover buttons.

Try this link to see what I mean: click here

Taran 17:17 12 Oct 05

It also looks very much like your button images are far larger than you are disoplaying them. If this is indeed the case, you should resize the images in a graphics program of your choice to the dimensions you want them to display at on your page.

Using a large image and displaying it smaller via HTML is poor form - the large image still has to be downloaded for the HTML to resize it for display, and several such images can really slow page load speeds. Try to keep your 56k modem dial up users in mind.

A final point - your main page splash movie is set up far too wide and makes horizontal scrolling necessary. Even on wide screen monitors it is huge, so you could reduce that to the point where the movie appears with no ugly scroll bars.

I've not looked at anything else on the site since your questions was about the rollovers.

T

Eileanbeag 17:20 12 Oct 05

Many thanks - will look to these matters now - thanks for help

Eileanbeag 17:50 16 Oct 05

Have still to make images smaller but have managed to upload the site - only problem is that it opens as folders on line and says Parent Directory cannot be found - can you tell what I might have done wrong? I know I have a lot to learn yet! click here

Taran 20:33 16 Oct 05

You've uploaded the contents of your website into a folder in your web root instead of just putting the files into the web root.

What's happened is you have made a new folder in the web root called New Folder. Your web site files are inside it. They need to be in the web root folder to work. Try republishing direct to your web root.

The web root, just to clear the issue, is the web folder or directory given to you by your ISP or host. All files to do with your site go into that folder.

What's happening is that you are asking a site to load from your web root at the freespace.virgin.net/weemagic.al/ address, when your idex page is actually in freespace.virgin.net/weemagic.al/magic.web/New Folder/

Everything in the magic.web/New Folder/ folder needs to be moved into the freespace.virgin.net/weemagic.al/ folder.

You may have to change how your images are addressed - I've not checked your source code yet though, so don't take that as cast in stone.

Eileanbeag 00:22 17 Oct 05

OK - I've retransferred New Folder individually but have now not got images for rollover again; have transferred the other folders over whole - what have I done wrong?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…