ROHS

greybeard 18:54 13 Sep 06

I'm not sure if this is the apropriate place to ask, but has anyone imported second hand electronic equipment from outside the EU ?
For example, from the US via an ebay purchase.
I'm trying to find out if second user equipment, that was made before the rohs directive came into force, is subject to its restrictions.

Sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about, but then you wouldn't be able to answer the question anyway !

Any help gratefully received.
John

SANTOS7 18:58 13 Sep 06

click here
Cannot answer your question, but the link may give you the info you require..

Fingees 19:00 13 Sep 06

Ican't directly answer your question, but be aware that the USA is still a different voltage electicity wise and runs at 60 HZ rather than our 50

Just thought it was a point to remember as you may get compatibility problems with electronic equipment.

Shortstop 19:07 13 Sep 06

I work for a large international connector company & we are still selling RoHS non-compliant goods as it very much depends on the nature of the market in which it will be used as to whether this is a requirement.

I believe that the strategy is that, if the goods were produced before the regulation came into force, then they are OK to use - BUT you must advise any potential buyers of this. If the buyer has had this explained and continues with the purchase then they are deemed to have understood & accepted the RoHS issue and decided that this was not a requirement for them. We actually have words along the lines of 'Product constructed mm/yy and therefore not subject to roHS compliance regulations' added to the receipt.

HTH

Paul

greybeard 19:56 13 Sep 06

Santos - been there,done that, that's why I posted here.
Like most bureaucratic organizations, they are concerned with business level questions and imports of new equipment. As an individual, I'm trying to find a way of getting a piece of kit whose current design is not rohs compliant.

Fingees - that's a problem that's in my lap to solve, not our lords and masters in the EU.

Shortstop - thanks for your input. I presume you are talking here of material that is already in the EU rather than about to be imported. I'm also aware that there are exceptions, but none of them apply. It's the fact of having to import the equipment that generates the problem with the recent regs.
Up to the present time I haven't found a specific statement that it doesn't apply to goods "made and sold" before 1/6/06. Goods made before and "stockpiled", then imported, still must comply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…