Rogue program

Johnboy 00:42 17 Apr 03

I think that some rogue program has gotinto my XP. I can no longer set up the ethernet broadband card except by saelecting the "always on"ption. When I try to Restore it says that restore is not available.

So I am going to reformat the drive and reinstall XP. I have qa second hard drive. Is there a freeware program that will allow me to move the files and programs I have (which I suspect are untainted) to the 2nd drive before I do the reformat? this way I hope to save a lot of time reinstalling programs and then going thru the laborious process of updating them.

hugh-265156 01:32 17 Apr 03

what isp etc and why do you need to reset up?if its any use on doing a complete system reinstall of xp a few weeks ago i just plugged in my ntl modem and did not need to use the software to install it it worked straight away.ps im now getting 70k downloads where before i got 60-65k using the software.

Johnboy 05:06 17 Apr 03

I live in Hong Kong and use Netvigator.com.

A deep clean of the hard disc will erase all my programs many of which have been updated by downloads. I figure the only way to get rid of the bug is to completely reformat the HD thus the original settings will disappear. I know how to save email, address book etc but want to "migrate" programs from the master HD to the slave beofre reformaating the master.

-pops- 06:59 17 Apr 03

There is the Files & Settings transfer Wizard already in XP.

One point though. If you are moving programs ready to re-install, you may be also moving the very thing that you want rid of.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…