Rogue Diallers - Broadband v Dialup

griffon 56 23:40 26 Aug 04

There are reports that BB ADSL connections can be hi-jacked by rogue diallers. My ISP could not clarify, nor could BT Customer Services. What are the facts?

johnnyrocker 23:43 26 Aug 04

cant be done guv no dial tone.

johnny.

stalion 23:46 26 Aug 04

could be that some broadband users have left their dial up modem working instead of disableing it.

johnnyrocker 23:55 26 Aug 04

i would have thought they would have unplugged the on board modem havin realised that broadband frees up their phone.

johnny.

Forum Editor 00:04 27 Aug 04

that connected your old dial-up modem to the phone socket you can forget about rogue dialers.

griffon 56 00:08 27 Aug 04

Thanks everyone.

Forum Editor 00:09 27 Aug 04

that if you're really worried you can always opt for BT's premium rate and international number call barring service for £1.50 a month. Some helplines are using the 090 prefix however, and if you want to use these numbers you'll need to ask BT for the flexible call barring facility that you can turn on and off - this costs £1.75 a month. Call BT on 150 to set it up.

griffon 56 00:57 30 Aug 04

Thanks FE. I knew about the BT call barring service but some charity appeals use 090 numbers and it just became too difficult.

griffon 56 01:10 01 Sep 04

Hi FE,

It's sort of on the same subject. It occurred to me that perhaps it would be technically possible for BT to warn users whenever an 090 number was dialled from a phone or modem, in the same way that the plummy voice tells you that the number you have dialled has not been recognised. If you were using the phone and intended to dial the 090 number then pressing, say, the hash or star key would allow you to continue, and if you were using a modem a message could be put up on the screen and over-ridden by another key stroke if you wanted to proceed. If this kind of technology has been available but not introduced by BT it casts another light on their insistence that they only get a small return from 090 numbers. Can you shed any light on this?

Regards

The Spires 01:15 01 Sep 04

Toucan click here bar premium lines by default at no charge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…