Rogue Diallers

scottyc 20:24 28 Oct 05

Hey up

I use an ADSL modem for internet etc and my 56k modem is disconnected, can I stiil be attacked by rogue diallers. Just picked up my phone and something was using the line (sounded like a fax machine).

Any suggestions appreciated. Also any links to some decent dialler software appreciated.

Belatucadrus 20:32 28 Oct 05

If the modem is physically disconnected then you're dialler proof. If it's still plugged in the socket you're still vulnerable.

Jackcoms 20:37 28 Oct 05

That's not strictly correct.

Even using BB, diallers can still find their way onto your PC.

However, as long as the dial-up modem is disconnected, they have no way of dialling out.

VoG II 20:37 28 Oct 05

Spybot click here is good at finding dialers.

scottyc 20:41 28 Oct 05

Well that helps, I have the modem disconnected physically and already run Spybot.

Cheers guys.

spuds 21:41 28 Oct 05

If you are concerned about dial-up modems and diallers, and your line is provided by BT, then use this click here

i.tech 21:52 28 Oct 05

Be careful about downloading the Microsoft Update for blocking rogue diallers however - it can also block your ISP's dialling software.

griffon 56 02:53 29 Oct 05

Hi scottyc,

There is a good antidialer at click here which runs in the background and stops your machine from dialling any number other than one/ones you have authorised. It's free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…