rogue anti-spyware

Awestruck 15:39 11 Sep 08

I am reasonably sure I have removed the rogue program antispycheck 2.1 from a neighbours computer.
I deleted all relevant folders, files and registry entries and used HJT to remove a few relevant odds and ends.
I stopped aspch from running at start up. I uninstalled antispycheck 2.1 using Add/Remove programs.
I ran another registry cleanup to make sure no references remained.
I also removed 12 Downloader.Zlobs and a quantity of spies.
Re-running anti virus and anti spy programs shows the computer is now clean.

However, I am unable to remove the live link to the antispycheck website which lives in the Windows XP notification area.
It is a shield just like the Windows security shield, it flashes alternately from red to blue to red to blue.
Making sure I was off-line I clicked the shield to see what URL it was linked to. This was antispychecker.com//?aid=1012

At regular intervals of about a minute the shield throws out one of two false warning balloons.
The yellow triangle in the balloons looks quite genuine but the System alert asks you to either download antispyware or download a tool for removing malware.
Something is also resetting the Windows automatic update to 'off'.

I would be grateful for advice on stopping this little blighter from operating.

Regards

Awestruck

User-1229748 15:54 11 Sep 08
  provider 2 16:26 11 Sep 08

Sounds as if a trip to the Malware Removal Forum may be necessary; not quick but very effective:

click here

skidzy 17:07 11 Sep 08

the problem you have is that the service has not been stopped and it reproduces upon reboot therefore changing your registry everytime even though you maybe running anti scanners etc.

Mbam and SmiFraudFix may well sort this problem but you may also need a little more help,if so,follow provider 2 advice and we can have a look at your HJT log.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…